Inca Rivers Trek - Choquequirao to Machu Picchu, 15 Days
Deal Number 5212093
Just go. Make your dream holiday your next holiday with easy Interest Free repayments over the next 9 months on packages over $999. For full product information please see our interest free page.
Duration 15 days
Company World Expeditions
Availability Valid for select departures 31 May 2018 - 3 October 2019
Call 1300 018 390
- 15 day tour departing Cusco
- 6 nights accommodation in Hotels
- 8 nights accommodation Camping
- 14 breakfasts, 9 lunches & 8 dinners
- Services of an expert bilingual guide
- Private internal transportation
- Use of a gear pack including sleeping bag, fibre filled jacket, thermarest and headtorch
- Group camping equipment
- Porters to carry personal gear
- Sightseeing and site entrance fees as listed
- Airport transfers
- Valid for select departures 31 May 2018 - 3 October 2019
Cusco - Sacred Valley of the Incas - Capuliyoc - Playa Rosalinda - Choquequirao - Trek Choquequirao - Pinchi Unuyoc - Trek Pinchi Unuyoc - Maizal - Trek Maizal - Yanama - Trek Yanama - Totora - Trek Totora - Lucmabamba - Trek Lucmabamba - Patallacta - Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
Day 1 Cusco.
You will be met at the airport and transferred to the hotel where you are free to rest, essential to initiate successful acclimatisation to the altitude. Our hotel is located in the historic centre so you may also use this time to explore the city. In the evening you will meet with your guide at 6pm at your hotel for an initial trip briefing and receive your kitbags and jackets for your trek.
Day 2 Cusco.
Today we have a guided tour of Cusco and its nearby ruins. The city, once capital of the extensive Inca Empire, has seen many changes since Francisco Pizarro's men took the city with such apparent ease in November 1533. We explore the city by foot to appreciate its superbly constructed Inca walls and architecturally extravagant colonial churches and palaces. This also includes a visit of Koricancha, the Golden Temple of the Sun, in ancient times. After this we take a short drive to visit the monolithic walls of Sacsayhuaman along with Tambomachay, better known as 'the bath of the Inca. Both sites are spectacularly set above the city. In the afternoon you may have time to explore some of the central parts of the city and a chance to look at some of the great varieties of local craft work on sale in open-air artisan markets and shops.
Day 3 Sacred Valley of the Incas.
We leave Cusco and head to the Chinchero Plateau to explore Chinchero, an important town in Inca times. The most striking remnant of this period is the massive stone wall in the main plaza which has ten trapezoidal niches. There are beautiful views overlooking the Sacred Valley of the Incas, with the Cordillera Vilcabamba and the snow-capped peak of Salcantay dominating the western horizon. Chinchero is believed to be the mythical birthplace of the rainbow. Next we visit the mysterious concentric circular terraces of Moray which, according to some scholars, could have been an agricultural research centre. From here we head to the salt mines of Maras. This village is a salt-producing centre that dates back all the way to pre-Inca times. There are thousands of salt pools all carved into the mountain side. We walk down through the salt pans to the Sacred valley for a lunch break before heading to our hotel in Ollantaytambo. The rest of the day is free to relax and enjoy beauty of this famous valley.
Day 4 Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Today we enjoy another day in the beautiful Sacred Valley with a tour of Ollantaytambo. During our time in Ollantaytambo we visit its remarkable temple/fortress set high on a ridge above the village. We also explore the quaint village itself with a fascinating mixture of Inca and Colonial architecture. This evening we have a pre-trek briefing with our trekking guide at our hotel and prepare for the trek.
Day 5 Capuliyoc.
Today we are collected from our hotel for the drive (approx 5 hours) to the trail head. On the way we stop in the famous Sayhuite carved rock for a short visit. This intricate stone block is adorned with more than 200 geometric figures, which together compose something like a 3D relief. Arrive to Capuliyoc to start our trek. After lunch we continue to Chiquisca camp. Walk approx 4 hours
Day 6 Playa Rosalinda to Choquequirao.
We descend in places very steeply to the spectacular Apurimac river canyon. At first the descent is quite gentle, then it gets steeper and hotter as we go deeper in to the canyon to Playa Rosalina (1550 mts). Continue to Marampata (2930m) where we have lunch. After lunch we continue to Choquequirao (2860m). If we are lucky we could see some condors and spectacle bears. Camp at Choquequirao. Walk approx 7 hours
Day 7 Choquequirao.
This morning after breakfast we explore this marvellous site, which actually is larger than Machu Picchu There are many similarities with Machu Picchu, this enigmatic monumental site was also built during the mid to late 15th century, it became lost for many centuries as the high jungle in this area soon covered the ruins and it was re-discovered by Hiram Bingham in the early 20th Century. Camp at Choquequirao. Walk approx 7 hours
Day 8 Trek Choquequirao to Pinchi Unuyoc.
We walk down through some beautiful terraces and thick, lush vegetation, all the way to Pinchi Unuyoc at 2100mts, where we camp for the night. This is a hot, dusty spot, but we can refresh and wash in this beautiful stream. Camp at Pinchi Unuyoc. Walk approx 5 hours
Day 9 Trek Pinchi Unuyoc to Maizal.
Descend approximately 2 hours to the Rio Blanco and then ascend 4 hours through some beautiful cloud forest all the way to Maizal (3085mts) for lunch. Walk approx 6 hours
Day 10 Trek Maizal to Yanama.
This morning we climb for four hours to the San Juan pass (4150mts), for lunch. Then drop down into the Yanama Valley with great views of Panta and Pumasillo snowed peaks. Camp. Walk approx 6 hours
Day 11 Trek Yanama to Totora.
Today we climb from our campsite to the top of Yanama Pass (4665mts) where we have amazing views of Veronica, Salcantay and Humantay peaks to the south. Then we drop down to Totora (3425mts). Camp. Walk approx 10 hours
Day 12 Trek Totora to Lucmabamba.
Today we continue our descent through very lush cloud forest, full of begonias, orchids and crops like coffee and passion fruit, until Wayracpunku. From here we will take a transportation for another hour or so to our campsite at Lucmabamba (1800 mts). Walk approx 5 hours
Day 13 Trek Lucmabamba to Patallacta to Aguas Calientes.
Today we ascend from Lucmabamba to Patallacta (2655mts), where we have lunch with incredible, and very rarely seen, views of the back of Machu Picchu. After lunch we descend to the mighty Urubamba River - the main source of the Amazon (1900mts) to catch the afternoon train to Aguas Calientes (200mts) where we check in to our hotel. This evening we will be free to enjoy the town and the hot shower Walk approx 6 hours
Day 14 Machu Picchu.
Today we start early to explore these remarkable and truly enigmatic ruins. We will enjoy a guided tour of the sanctuary followed by time to explore this fascinating site at your own pace (with the accompaniment of the guide). In the afternoon or early evening we depart from Machu Picchu for the train ride back to Ollantaytambo where we transfer to our vehicle for the drive back to Cusco. NB: Depending on train schedules, we may arrive into Cusco very late at night.
Day 15 Machu Picchu.
You will be transferred to the airport for your flight where your trip concludes.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 December 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
Contact an Expert to find out more about this tour and other amazing tours!
From quick getaways to dream holidays
We're the biggest travel agency south of the equator with access to destinations right around the world. Anywhere you want to go, we can take you there.
Book Now Pay Later!
Where ever you want to fly, cruise, tour or stay, you can holiday sooner with our Interest Free Holidays.
Real People, Real Experience, Real Easy
Our Travel Experts love travel as much as you do. Book with us, knowing you're getting the best advice from the best in the business.