South Island Lick, 7 Days
Deal Number 5405104
Just go. Make your dream holiday your next holiday with easy Interest Free repayments over the next 9 months on packages over $999. For full product information please see our interest free page.
Duration 7 days
Destination South Island
Company Haka Tours
Availability Selected travel dates 6 February 2019 - 29 March 2020
Call 133 133
- 7 day tour departing Christchurch
- 6 nights accommodation in high end Hostels
- Continental breakfast daily
- Guided tour of every location
- Learn to carve your own greenstone Tikii pendant
- Discover NZ's most spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Areas
- Journey through multiple National Parks
- Service of a passionate Kiwi guide
- Transport by comfortable bus
- Selected travel dates 6 February 2019 - 29 March 2020
Visit South Island
Christchurch - Tekapo - Queenstown - Wanaka - Franz Josef
Day 1 Christchurch to Tekapo.
This morning we'll explore iconic downtown Christchurch and your Haka Guide will show you the cool ways the city has reunited and is being rebuilt after the 2011 quake. With lots of quirky shops, cool cafes and spots to dine, along with a young fun Kiwi culture, Christchurch shouldn't be missed. After lunch we leave the city behind and head for MacKenzie Country, named for James MacKenzie, one of New Zealand's most enduring folk heroes. There's even a statue of his faithful dog at today's destination - Lake Tekapo. The lake's breathtaking turquoise colour and mountain backdrop is a photographer's dream come true. The iconic Church of the Good Shepherd stands right at the water's edge. Grab some confetti and congratulate any passing brides - couples travel from all over the world for wedding shots in front of the chapel. If you're feeling energetic, hike up to the summit of Mt John. With awesome views of the Southern Alps, you'll feel like you're on top of the world. Or take a scenic flight over the mountains, glaciers and lakes of this beautiful part of the world. Thanks to the super clear skies, the area around Tekapo has been declared a 'Dark Sky Reserve' and it's the best place in New Zealand to see the stars and galaxies on a clear night. Sit back, relax and enjoy.
Day 2 Tekapo to Queenstown.
Today's drive to Queenstown is a show-stopper. From the golden tussocklands of MacKenzie country - where the epic battles of Return of the King were filmed - to the dramatic mountain peaks of the Southern Alps surrounding us, it's like you're driving into a postcard. We'll pause to admire these stunning views so get ready to give those camera batteries another workout. Whether you're an adrenalin junkie, an avid hiker, wine taster or scenery lover, Queenstown has something for absolutely everyone. With two nights and one full day here, get ready - this town certainly knows how to party.
Day 3 Queenstown.
With a full day in Queenstown, it's time to get cracking on your bucket list. There are many different options to choose from: paragliding, mountain biking, bungy jumping while your Haka friends cheer you on, horse riding through some stunning Lord of the Rings locations in Glenorchy, and swinging through a canyon are all on offer. Queenstown is also home to New Zealand's most famous burger: Fergburger. Why not grab one with your new friends as you explore the town? For scenery lovers, Milford Sound is not to be missed. Whether you choose a scenic flight or a cruisey coach trip, you'll love the scenic journey as much as the destination. Once on the Sound, sailing around the fjords beneath thundering waterfalls and towering cliff faces, you'll understand why some call it the "8th Wonder of the World". Beautiful in rain or shine, Milford takes the biscuit as one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful areas of the South Island. Back in Queenstown, with around 40 bars to choose from, there are plenty of spots to catch up with your travel buddies, share stories of your day, and party the night away.
Day 4 Queenstown to Wanaka.
After all the excitement of Queenstown, today is a chance to chill. Wanaka is Queenstown's slightly quieter little sister, only an hour's drive away. A year round destination, Wanaka is blessed with towering mountains and a glacial blue lake. It's widely regarded as one of New Zealand's most beautiful mountain towns. There are stunning hikes and bike rides all around the area for a welcome change of pace. One of the best ways to admire Wanaka is from the air. Treat yourself to a skydive or a scenic flight in a vintage plane - you can even take a flying lesson, Or if you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, stroll around the lake and check out the famous Wanaka Tree, standing all alone in the water. It's up to you.
Day 5 Wanaka to Franz Josef.
After a free morning in Wanaka, the journey to Franz Josef is an absolute stunner - many of our Haka Guides rate it as their favourite drive in New Zealand (and they should know). From mountain passes to cascading waterfalls to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won't even dare to take a nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your Haka Guide will have some epic surprise stops for you along the route as well. Between September and December it's whitebait season (a small fish that's a delicacy in New Zealand). Fried up with eggs and served on toast, it's a local treat and shouldn't be missed. We'll stop at one of the local spots to try it out. We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This world heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5km from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
Day 6 Franz Josef.
With Aoraki (Mt. Cook - New Zealand's highest mountain) twinkling behind the glaciers, Franz Josef is about as beautiful a setting as you can find in New Zealand. Te Wahi Pounamu (which means -the place of greenstone -in Maori) is the name given to the this part of the West Coast because of the abundance of greenstone (jade) to be found here. Included in your tour today is the chance to carve your very own greenstone souvenir to take home. There are heaps of ways to enjoy Franz Josef Glacier; weather permitting, to get up onto the bluest ice you can take a scenic helicopter flight and hike onto the glaciers. Maybe you'd prefer to kayak on a glacial lake; or just relax in the steamy hot springs down below. As well as the awesome glacier activities you could also try out quad biking, horseback riding and even a bit of group karaoke tonight in Franz Josef
Day 7 Franz Josef to Christchurch.
Before you know it, it's your last day After breakfast we head further along the beautiful west coast on another of the most spectacular drives in the country (and, some would say, the world): a rugged, primeval landscape of luxuriant rainforest juxtaposed against breathtaking beach and ocean waves. We stop at Hokitika and visit a greenstone factory, a great place to stock up on souvenirs for your friends and family back home. Time permitting, we may also visit the National Kiwi Centre where there is guaranteed viewing of rare Kiwi birds in their nocturnal house. On the way back to Christchurch, we take the stunning TranzAlpine Train Crossing. Travelling across the Southern Alps through Arthur's Pass, we arrive in Christchurch around 6.30 pm and head to our accommodation.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 June 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on Multi share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
Contact an Expert to find out more about this tour and other amazing tours!
From quick getaways to dream holidays
We're the biggest travel agency south of the equator with access to destinations right around the world. Anywhere you want to go, we can take you there.
Book Now Pay Later!
Where ever you want to fly, cruise, tour or stay, you can holiday sooner with our Interest Free Holidays.
Real People, Real Experience, Real Easy
Our Travel Experts love travel as much as you do. Book with us, knowing you're getting the best advice from the best in the business.