The region of southern China known fondly as ‘Honkers’ has an intriguing history and a blindingly bright future. And this global powerhouse shows no signs of slowing down.
"Multiple personalities" is a phrase often used to describe Hong Kong. A British colony for close to 150 years, it is the definitive example of ‘east meets west’. More than seven million people pack the harbour city, from the populous peninsula of Kowloon to the rugged New Territories perched above.
The Oriental Pearl is a real gem when it comes to shopping, thanks to nil sales taxes and a crazy competitive retail industry.
Markets and malls aplenty mean you’ll have no trouble laying down your Hong Kong dollar, but there are temples and shrines galore too if you’re more in the mood for cultural riches.
Sink your sweet tooth into...
- Put chai ko rice pudding
- Saqima caramel treats
- Winter melon wife cake
Happy hour with a view at...
- SEVVA Taste Bar at Prince's Building
- Sugar bar at the EAST hotel
- Armani/Prive club at Chater House
Take a hike on...
- The Dragon’s Back, found south in Shek O
- Lantau Peak – HK’s second highest summit
- Fanling’s Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail
Hand over your HK dollar at...
- Mong Kok – the neon neighbourhood
- Causeway Bay – for serious shoppers
- Cat Street – antiques markets ahoy!