Flight Centre has been speaking with communications manager of Connecting Southern Gold Coast, Rachel Cannard about what the southern end of the coast has to offer for holiday makers this winter. Of course there is the typical Gold Coast beauty of the clear winter days and the sparkling ocean however there is also a music festival with a twist (pun completely intended!).
Travelling to Coolangatta this June is the perfect time to enjoy the Southern Gold Coast, with an event that will truly rock the socks right off your feet!
Cooly Rocks On is Australia's newest, hottest Nostalgia festival, and it rolls into Coolangatta on the 3rd of June until the 13th of June 2011! The Coolangatta precinct will maintain its tradition of hosting the best nostalgia festival in the country!
Celebrating the darling era of the 50's and 60's, this festival is a rock n rollers dream! From Rockabilly to Pin-Up to Swing & Jive and, of course, the legacy of Elvis, Cooly Rocks On will transform the Coolangatta CBD into a time warp that will have you toe tapping in the streets and drooling over 850+ classic cars and hot rods that have been lovingly restored and proudly shown off by rev heads from all over the country.
If you love to dance then you need to clear your calendar for the two weeks that Cooly Rocks On swings through the streets, grab your dancing shoes and get ready to cut some rug with over 50 bands and 62 free music performances! There are dance competitions to strut your stuff, dance workshops that will show you many different styles. And, of course, dancing in the streets is not something you get to do every day without feeling like you've completely lost your marbles, but while this festival is on it's the norm!
Here's a quick list of the highlights and must see events of this year's inaugural Cooly Rocks On!
• Little Patti, the iconic NSW entertainer, who has crossed the border, to become Patron of the Festival!!
• 850 classic cars that will be on show in Marine Parade, Griffith Street and Wharf Street;
• 11 classic car cruises
• 55 rock' n 'roll and rockabilly bands
• 6 outdoor street stages hosting 62 free music performances
• 15 indoor venues hosting 120 music shows and dance performances
• 20 dance workshops
• 100 specialty retail exhibitors in Queen Elizabeth Park, Coolangatta
• 1 Carnival and Side Show Alley at Greenmount Beach Car Park
• Vintage 1950s Miss Pinup Australia including Miss Va Va Voom, the only live heat in lead up to national finals to be held at Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre.
This is one festival not to be missed, and the location, well, let's just say that it doesn't get any better than the Southern Gold Coast!