Wasabi sorbet anyone? That’s just one of the free flavours on offer – as well as a dose of wacky Japanese game show fun – at the Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck this weekend.
Ice cream gods Gelato Messina have created eight new flavours for the truck, inspired by Japan’s quirky food and pop culture. Check out these other combinations:
- Go ahead Make My Dai Dai: Satsuma mandarin curd gelato with dai dai and strawberry citrus gel.
- Yam Bam Thank You Ma’am: Banana and Koji gelato with sweet potato ganache.
- Sake Slinger: Sake and green apple sorbet.
- Wasa-Berri: Strawberry and wasabi sorbet.
- Samurai Cheesecake: Umeboshi gelato, plum puree and baked Japanese cheesecake.
- Matcha Mistachio: Matcha gelato with pistachio milk chocolate fudge.
- Yummi Umami: Caramel miso gelato with chewy caramel.
- Balmi Hanami: Cherry blossom gelato with lychee puree.
If that’s not enough to get you down to Southern Cross Station on Sunday for the truck’s first pitstop, you can also take part in a Japanese-inspired game show with some great prizes delivered by the Yummy Fun Truck vending machine.
The truck will visit other Melbourne hot spots every weekend until March 12. Here’s where you can get a taste of Japan.
- February 19: Southern Cross Station.
- February 25: Urban Amphitheatre Federation Square.
- February 26: Southern Cross Station.
- March 4 & 5: St Kilda Foreshore.
- March 11 & 12: Queensbridge Square.
* Featured image: Get some free, quirky-flavoured ice cream. Image: JNTO