Flight Centre’s largest retail travel outlet globally will open in Queen Street Mall today, housing ten times more travel consultants than traditional stores.
The company’s new flagship face of travel shopping will house 12 teams made up of 60 consultants with capacity to hold a total of 80 consultants over time – more than ten times the average number of consultants housed in Flight Centre’s traditional bricks and mortar stores.
Interactive maps, a giant 3mx3m globe light installation, a scrolling feed of flight prices and ‘hot desk’ style customer interaction are just some of the hyperstore’s features.
The second of its kind in Australia, the flagship multi-level 580 square metre space hyperstore is staffed by 12 teams of Flight Centre consultants, made up of experienced travel consultants as well as experts in first and business class travel, corporate travel, round-the-world itineraries and cruising to offer tailored advice.
Flight Centre Australia’s executive general manager Tom Walley said the Queen Street hyperstore was specifically designed to create an interactive and engaging customer experience as part of the company’s transition from a travel agent into a travel retailer.
“It’s all about choice these days,” said Mr Walley.
“We wanted to provide travellers with an enhanced travel shopping experience, where they could get everything they needed for their holiday in one place.
“Our interactive maps will mean consultants can draw or map out a rough itinerary or plot suggested destinations for a customer. From there, they can research hotels, browse through the latest deals and add-on extras to their booking on iPads, all while they are in-store,” Mr Walley said.
Key features include:
- 12 x team of Flight Centre consultants including four retail teams, two round-the-world speciality teams, one cruise specialty team, one first and business class specialty team and four Flight Centre Business Travel teams.
- Four in-house Infinity tours consultants available to offer customers advice during consultations.
- Interactive features such as large world maps and detailed charts, including airline hub cities, feature destinations and more.
- A move away from traditional window boards, with LCD screens mounted on the walls with rotating destination imagery and other digital content.
- Open-plan consulting areas.
- Comprehensive travel library with magazines, essential information and direct access to brochures.
- A 3mx3m globe light installation is being flown in from Washington to hang from the Mezzanine level of the building.
- Flight Centre’s first Australian hyperstore opened in Perth’s Hay Street Mall in late 2013.
The Flight Centre Queen Street hyperstore is located at 114 Queen Street Mall Brisbane. It is open seven days, 8:00am – 9:00pm Monday to Friday and 8:00am – 7:00pm Saturday to Sunday.