Walls of Jerusalem Winter Experience
From 27/07/2021 to 30/09/2022
Central base camp location with access to a wide range of trekking and snowshoeing opportunities.
Walk through Tasmania's last remaining stands of ancient Pencil Pine forests.
Opportunity to summit some of the region's highest peaks, including Solomons Throne, Mt Jerusalem and The Temple.
Unique wildflowers, abundant wildlife, and spectacular alpine scenery as far as the eye can see.
Visit historic mountain huts and learn about the fascinating highland heritage.
Suitable for walkers who have not used snowshoes before.
2 professional wilderness guides3 nights camping at a remote base camp3 breakfasts, 4 lunches & 3 dinnersTransport by private minibusNational Park feesSnowshoes, overpants & gaitersTents, backpack, sleeping bag, inner sheet & inflatable sleeping matGroup camping equipment including all cooking & eating equipmentEmergency communications & group first aid kitTasmanian Expeditions does not require single travellers pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same sex and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room (or tent if applicable) at no extra charge.
Our 3 nights in the Walls of Jerusalem National Park are spent at Wild Dog Creek base camp.
Situated in the shadow of the areas highest mountain, King David’s Peak (1499m), we set up our twin share tents on a maze of elevated wooden platforms.
A permanent kitchen and dining platform provide rustic shelter from the elements and a panoramic spot to enjoy a hot drink, a chat about the day’s events and a hearty evening meal together.
A composting toilet & fresh drinking/washing water is also available.
We provide strong, 2 person, bushwalking tents (twin share), which provide each occupant with a personal access door and vestibule for individual use.
Our tents weigh between 2.
0 and 2.
5 kg and this weight is shared equally by each occupant.
We use a range of high quality 3-4 season tents which have been trialled and tested to withstand all weather conditions that may be encountered on our adventures.
Group Size: 6 - 12.
Day 1 - Transfer from Launceston, trek to Wild Dog Creek base camp This morning you will be collected from your hotel in Launceston between 7-8am and transferred to the Walls of Jerusalem National Park (travel time approx. 2 hours). Carrying our full backpacks into this magnificent highland area will provide us with a challenge but we will be given plenty of encouragement from our guides as well as snacks and numerous rest stops along the way. Once the plateau has been reached, the walking is flat and spectacular as we pass by numerous tarns and lakes en route to our base camp for the next 3 nights. On arrival we set up camp, relax and enjoy the amazing surrounds of the rugged mountain of King Davids Peak (1499m). Walking Distance 7km | Walking Time 4 hours
Day 2 - Explore Walls of Jerusalem National Park Today we head out from our camp (carrying just our day packs) passing Lake Salome and the Pool of Bethesda before reaching the imposing dolerite Gate of Damascus. From the 'Gate' we walk through a rare stand of ancient pencil pines, coming to lush grasslands known as Dixons Kingdom. The cultural heritage hut here was built in the early 1930s by Reg Dixon, a trapper of the time. After a short break enjoying our lush green surrounds, we head off to climb Mt Jerusalem. On a clear day the views from Mt Jerusalem stretch across the central highlands where you will see why the area is referred to as the 'Land of a Thousand Lakes'. Our return route to base camp either takes us through the Gate of the Chain or the Golden Gate. Either way spectacular sub-alpine scenery awaits. Walking Distance 8-12km | Walking Time 6-8 hours
Day 3 - Explore Walls of Jerusalem National Park Today is another bushwalker's dream. After breakfast at our scenic camp, we continue to explore this alpine paradise carrying just day packs. We can climb Solomons Throne from where we have an excellent view of the area we walked on the previous day. From here we head south and enjoy yet more of the lakes, tarns forests and open grass lands that make this such a superb and pristine walking location. For those that are keen there are more opportunities to climb the surrounding peaks such as The Temple and King Davids Peak. Our last night is spent enjoying the views of the peaks featured along the famous Overland Track from our comfortable camp. Walking Distance 8-12km | Walking Time 6-8 hours
Day 4 - Trek from Wild Dog Creek base camp, transfer to Launceston This morning we bid farewell to this truly outstanding part of Tasmania's World Heritage Area and begin our walk off the plateau. We meander past the sparkling tarns of Solomons Jewels, descend steeply through tall eucalyptus forests filled with melodious bird call, and stop for a rest at the old Trappers Hut. The final section of gentle downhill track gives us time to reflect on the last six days of outstanding bushwalking. Just before lunch we meet up with our transfer bus and driver, shrug off our trusty backpacks and drive to Mole Creek village for a celebratory pub meal together. Congratulations on completing one of Tasmania's most magnificent and unforgettable wilderness walks! We drop you at your Launceston accommodation by approximately 5pm. Walking Distance: 7km | Walking Time: 3-4 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans