Rwanda Gorilla Naming Ceremony & Uganda
From 04/09/2024 to 12/09/2024
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
With gorilla permits included in the price of the trip, seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda's steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
Experience one of the world’s most important celebrations of conservation success; a naming ceremony for the baby gorillas born in Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park over the past year.
Discover the diverse wildlife of Queen Elizabeth National Park on exciting game drives, and an optional boat cruise around the lake, and learn how human-wildlife conflict is being tackled with anti-crop raiding techniques.
Spend a free day exploring Musanze, the largest city in Northern Rwanda and a hub for conservation with Gorilla Doctors and the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund both calling this city home.
Be joined by a field veterinarian from The Gorilla Doctors for an exclusive fireside chat at our lodge, knowing that a proportion of your trip cost goes back to supporting the important work they do.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Gorilla Doctors.
Donations help them care for injured mountain and Grauer's gorillas – contributing to the long-term sustainability of gorilla populations.
Breakfasts Included: 1.
Lunches Included: 1.
Hotel (3 nights),Safari Lodge (5 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Musanze - Kwita Izina Gorilla Naming Ceremony.
Queen Elizabeth National Park - 4x4 Game Drive.
Ishasha - Community Tourism Project Visit.
Kisoro - Gorilla Doctors Veterinarian Educational Talk.
Bwindi National Park - Mountain Gorilla Permit & Trek.
Kigali - City Tour.
Kigali - Genocide Memorial Centre.
1 - Kigali Welcome to Kigali, the capital of Rwanda since it gained independence in 1962. Rwanda is a place that offers so much to the Intrepid traveller and is a country that has been rebuilding itself since the horrific genocide in 1994. And though the past won't, and shouldn't, be forgotten, the future of Rwanda's tourism is looking bright thanks to its welcoming people, an abundance of lakes and the beautiful Virunga Mountains. Your adventure begins by meeting your fellow travellers for a welcome meeting at 6 pm this evening.
2 - Musanze Wake early this morning to hit the road toward Musanze and then enjoy a free day to explore as you wish. This is the largest city in Northern Rwanda and a hub for conservation with Gorilla Doctors and the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund both calling this city home. You might like to visit the Ellen DeGeneres Campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, a leading research centre focusing on studying and protecting gorillas and building local community conservation initiatives. Learn about the life of famed primatologist and conservationist Dian Fossey and how the centre is continuing her important work researching mountain gorillas. If you're looking for a little extra adventure, there's an optional canoe ride on the Mukungwa River with your name on it. Or, perhaps head to Redrocks Rwanda where you'll get a chance to learn about the local banana beer production, enjoy basket-weaving demonstrations, listen to local drummers and move your hips with some traditional dancing.
3 - Musanze Wake up with excitement as you prepare for an incredibly special day. You'll be treated to an exclusive opportunity to witness the Kwita Izina ceremony. Based on a century-old tradition that sees Rwandans naming their children in the presence of their family and friends, the Kwita Izina ceremony gives a name to a newborn gorilla. Created to bring attention to the importance of protecting mountain gorillas and their habitats, the naming ceremony helps to monitor each individual gorilla while showing thanks to those who take part in their conservation. Today you'll follow the event's schedule, so be prepared to go with the flow and be ready to join the celebrations! You can expect to see famous singers, performers, top traditional dancing groups and formal speeches, followed by informal celebrations.
4 - Queen Elizabeth NP Your journey continues as you leave Rwanda and cross the border into Uganda, driving on to Queen Elizabeth National Park. This incredibly biodiverse park is home to 10 primate species including chimpanzees, 95 mammals including big game, and 618 bird species. On arrival, head out on a 4x4 game drive in search of the varied wildlife within the park - a keen eye and a little patience is sure to reward you with some memorable sightings! Later in the day you'll return to your simple safari lodge located within the park, overlooking the Kazinga Channel.
5 - Queen Elizabeth NP This morning there's an opportunity to see the park from a different perspective with an optional cruise down the Kazinga Channel, linking Lake Edward to Lake George. You'll be joined by local guides who'll fill you in on everything you could want to know about the landscape and the animals who live within it - be on the lookout for hippos basking on the shore, as well as crocodiles, herds of elephants and abundant birdlife. Then, game drive to Ishasha, the southern sector of Queen Elizabeth National Park, looking out for the famous tree-climbing lions along the way. In Ishasha you'll meet some local residents to learn more about rural life in Uganda. Visit a local organic farm, medicine garden and homestead and learn how its owner is tackling human-wildlife conflict with his anti-crop raiding techniques. You'll also meet a local Mukiga woman who will share her story while showing you how to sort, pound and grind millet to make porridge and other Bakiga meals. After your visit, head to a comfortable eco-lodge frequented by big herds of elephants, buffaloes and antelopes.
6 - Kisoro Head further south today as you travel to Kisoro - the journey is like a game drive in itself, with the chance to spot zebras, antelopes, baboons and monkeys out the window. Your accommodation tonight offers breathtaking views of Lake Mulehe and the Virunga Mountains. Soak up the panoramic views from your veranda as the sun sets. This evening we'll be joined by a field veterinarian from The Gorilla Doctors for a fireside chat. The Gorilla Doctors are the only organization in the world dedicated to saving the mountain and eastern lowland (Grauer's) gorilla species, one gorilla patient at a time using veterinary medicine and science. They monitor the health of gorilla groups to ensure the early detection of disease and injury, and stage medical interventions when gorillas suffer from human-induced or life-threatening trauma or disease. You'll learn more about their fascinating work during this unique and special experience.
7 - Kisoro Join a local guide and trackers as you climb through the rugged, mountainous terrain of Bwindi National Park in search of mountain gorillas. A quick lock of eyes with these creatures is a truly primal moment and visits are strictly controlled to minimise disturbance. Make no mistake, tracking gorillas is no walk in the park - it's called Bwinidi Impenetrable National Park for a reason. It can be wet, muddy, strenuous and uncomfortable, but the indescribable elation at coming across a group of gorillas is worth the effort. Spend a mesmerising hour with the gorillas as they eat, sleep, groom and play as the male silverback watches over them, then return to the lodge for dinner and to reflect on this incredible experience.
8 - Kigali After breakfast, you'll travel back to Kigali this morning. Here, you'll visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre, which was opened in 2004 to mark the 10th commemoration of the genocide against the Tutsi people. It serves as both a museum, detailing the history and consequences of Rwanda's genocide, and a place for people to grieve lost friends and family. This afternoon, take some time out from the devastating history with a local lunch and an afternoon city tour, including a trip to the craft market.
9 - Kigali With no further activities planned for today, your adventure comes to an end after breakfast.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 February 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans