From 27/07/2024 to 28/12/2025
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Jul Sat 27 2024 to Aug Sun 04 2024AvailableFrom$3,719*
Oct Sat 19 2024 to Oct Sun 27 2024AvailableFrom$3,915*
Nov Sat 02 2024 to Nov Sun 10 2024AvailableFrom$3,915*
Nov Sat 30 2024 to Dec Sun 08 2024AvailableFrom$3,915*
Dec Sat 14 2024 to Dec Sun 22 2024AvailableFrom$3,915*
Dec Sat 21 2024 to Dec Sun 29 2024AvailableFrom$3,915*
Jan Sat 11 2025 to Jan Sun 19 2025AvailableFrom$4,270*
Feb Sat 15 2025 to Feb Sun 23 2025AvailableFrom$4,110*
Make an unforgettable visit to the Embera people – an Indigenous community who will welcome you with song and dance.
Share a meal with the locals that showcases how they live in harmony with the environment.
Cruise along one of humanity’s greatest engineering marvels on a tour of the Panama Canal.
Learn how the waterway was crafted and the process used to raise or lower the ships that pass through it.
Sample local Panamanian delicacies during a cooking demonstration in Penonome.
Your host will talk you through all the tips and tricks needed to make favourites like Panamanian tortillas.
Learn about crafting a real Panama hat, also known as a Sombrero Pintao from a local maker in the town where they originated.
Visit a mask workshop in the city of Chitre, where these intricately detailed costumes are used to represent the devil in a range of religious and traditional festivals.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Eden Reforestation Projects.
Donations help them provide local employment opportunities and tackle climate change one tree at a time as they restore forests across 10 different countries.
Breakfasts Included: 8.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (8 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer.
Panama City - Leader-led walk in Panama La Vieja and Casco Viejo.
Panama City - Panama Canal Museum (entrance fee).
Panama City - Mola Museum (entrance fee).
Panama City - Embera community visit.
Penonome - Cooking demonstration and lunch.
Penonome - Hat maker visit.
Penonome - Handicraft workshop visit.
Chitre - Traditional mask workshop.
Chitre - Herrera Museum.
Chitre - Leather workshop.
Panama City - Panama Canal partial transit.
1 - Panama City Bienvenidos! Welcome to Panama. Your adventure begins in Panama City, Central America's glitziest capital, with a welcome meeting at 6 pm at your hotel. If you arrive early, you might like to take a stroll through the rainforest in the Metropolitan Nature Park. After the meeting, join your fellow travellers and leader for an included dinner at a local restaurant.
2 - Panama City Today, uncover more of Panama City as you embark on a leader-led sightseeing tour of the capital. Start with a visit to Panama La Vieja - a UNESCO Cultural World Heritage Site dating back to 1519. See the remaining sections of the Old Panama Cathedral and climb to the top of the bell tower for views back to the Panama City skyline. Then, stroll through the historic Casco Antiguo (Old Town). While you're there, stop in at the Panama Canal Museum for a look at the history of one of the world's greatest engineering feats. In the afternoon, you'll visit the Museo de Mola which celebrates mola - an intricately detailed decoration that forms part of traditional woman's clothing - as well as Plaza Francia, which highlights the role the French played in the Panama Canal's construction. The evening is yours to spend how you like - be sure to ask your leader for dinner recommendations, as they will always know the best spots.
3 - Panama City After an early breakfast, drive north from Panama City on your way to visit the Embera people - a nearby Indigenous community. To get there, you'll board dugout canoes and sail upriver with members of the Embera community. When you arrive, the village leader will give you a traditional warm welcome. Learn about the local lifestyle and traditions through music and dance performances, while lunch gives you a new appreciation for the community's food sourcing and traditions. After lunch, you'll be taken on a garden tour and taught about medicinal plants and herbs. After, be welcomed into a local's home to see their living spaces. Don't miss the opportunity to purchase some handmade crafts and support the community, too! Say your farewells and travel back downriver by canoe, before driving back to your accommodation. You have a free evening to cap off a hugely rewarding day.
4 - Penonome Depart Panama City after breakfast, hitting the road toward Penonome. There'll be an optional stop along the way for a batido (fruit shake), before arriving in Penonome around lunchtime. Located right in the centre of the country, the town will be your base for the next two nights. Your leader will take you on an orientation walk, then for lunch you'll be shown all the tips and tricks of Panamanian food at a local eatery before tucking into a delicious meal. The rest of the day is then free for to you explore as you please. You might like to take a tour to the relaxing Playa Santa Clara beach, the hidden Yayas Falls or a nearby organic farm. For dinner, maybe sample some more local delicacies with your fellow travellers.
5 - Penonome This morning, enjoy a relaxed breakfast, then make you way to a workshop to learn all about Sombrero Pintao (the iconic and original Panama hat). Unlike the 'Panama hats' that are originally from Ecuador, the Sombrero Pintao are woven through with black and white designs that almost look painted on. A local artisan will teach you all about their craft - don't miss the chance to try one on for size! The rest of the day is free for you to enjoy the town and surrounding area, giving you the chance to explore anything you may have missed yesterday.
6 - Chitre Say goodbye to Penonome and head south to the city of Chitre. Arrive around lunchtime, then head out for an orientation walk with your leader (who will also be able to point you in the right direction for a good lunch spot). After a bite to eat, rejoin your fellow travellers and visit Museo de Herrera Fabio Rodriquez. Like Penonome, Chitre is also known for its artisanal crafts - though here the speciality is pottery. Museo de Herrera Fabio Rodriquez contains an extensive collection of artifacts dating back to 5000 BC, while also providing context about Panama's natural history. Head to a mask workshop for a glimpse at the country's cultural heritage - elaborate masks and costumes are a feature of many festivals in Panama. The afternoon is free for you to continue exploring Chitre.
7 - Panama City After breakfast, visit a local leather workshop to gain an understanding of another of Chitre's many crafts. Then, it's back on the road to Panama City. There'll be a stop for lunch on the way before you arrive back in the capital in the early afternoon. Enjoy free time for the rest of the day - after the drive, you might like to stretch your legs on a walk along the city's gorgeous waterfront promenade, the Cinta Costera (causeway).
8 - Panama City Get ready for a special day cruising along a section of the Panama Canal. The iconic, artificial waterway connects the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, allowing for an easier trade route than the Drake Passage at South America's southernmost tip. As you sail, you'll learn about the process required to either lift ships above sea level, or lower them to sea level, as well as the geography of the area. This is a chance to get up close to an impressive piece of human engineering. Once the tour's complete, head back to your accommodation in the late afternoon. In the evening, join your leader and travel companions for a final farewell dinner.
9 - Panama City With no planned activities today, you can depart at any time. If you would like to spend some more time in Panama City, just speak to your booking agent ahead of time.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 February 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans