A Taste of the Camino: Porto to Bilbao
Departure dates & prices
Day 1 - Porto
A tangled maze of medieval walls and contemporary architecture hugging the banks of the mighty Rio Douro – our journey across the Camino will begin in the evocative Portuguese city of Porto. Settle into our hotel and meet your fellow travel companions – we’ll get to know one another better over a sumptuous welcome dinner at a local restaurant. Here’s to the adventure ahead! Accommodation: Vila Gale Porto Ribeira (or similar)
Day 2 - Porto – Viana do Castelo – Ponte de Lima – Santiago de Compostela
After breakfast this morning, we’ll board the mini-coach and leisurely make our way to picturesque Viana Do Castelo. Spend some time soaking up the magnificent views over the attractive riverfront and incredible neo-Byzantine Templo do Sagrado Coração de Jesus, before we continue to Ponte de Lima to see the ancient Ponte Medieval bridge (constructed by the Romans in 1AD). One of the oldest towns in Portugal, Ponte de Lima is a charmingly photogenic town located on the banks of the Lima River. We’ll enjoy some free time this afternoon exploring the historic centre dotted with quaint cafes, vibrant flower gardens and sunny plazas at our leisure. Later, we’ll continue to Santiago de Compostela – where we’ll have the evening to explore the charming city centre or relax at our hand-picked hotel. Accommodation: Gran Hotel Los Abetos (or similar)
Day 3 - Santiago de Compostela
The final stop on the famous Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trail and alleged burial site of Saint James – Santiago de Compostela is shrouded in fascinating history and Galician character. We'll have the opportunity to delve deeper into this city’s rich heritage and admire the magnificent stone architecture of Old Town on a locally guided walking tour – taking in the likes of Plaza del Obradoiro, Palacio de Raxoi and Cathedral de Santiago as we go. Then: the rest of the afternoon is ours to explore at our own pace. This evening, we’ll be free to indulge in some exquisite local seafood and savour the flavours of traditional Galician cuisine at a restaurant of our choosing. Accommodation: Gran Hotel Los Abetos (or similar)
Day 4 - Santiago de Compostela – Ponferrada – León
Today, we’ll continue our journey to Ponferrada where we’ll pay a visit to the impressive Castillo de los Templarios (Templars Castle). We’ll travel back in time as we wander the walls of this giant fortress – built in 1178 AD to protect the pilgrims on their road to Santiago de Compostela. Following our visit, we’ll venture into the city centre to enjoy lunch at our leisure. Continuing our journey into northern Castilla, we’ll arrive at our final stop of the day: León. This evening, we’ll enjoy some free time to seek out a local eatery amongst the city’s picturesque old quarter or relax at our hotel. Accommodation: NH Collection Plaza Mayor (or similar)
Day 5 - León
We’ll start our day with a walking tour of León – taking in the grand monuments, Gothic Cathedral and 10th-century Basilica de San Isidoro with a local guide. Following our in-depth tour, we’ll venture into the vineyard studded Castille and León countryside to sample some local wine and indulge in a delicious included lunch. Returning to León later this afternoon, we’ll have the rest of the evening free to explore at our own pace. Accommodation: NH Collection Plaza Mayor (or similar)
Day 6 - León – Picos de Europa – Santillana del Mar
This morning, we’ll leave the metropolis of León behind and journey into the mesmerising Picos de Europa National Park. Located in the Cantabrian Mountains, this vast expanse of towering snow-capped peaks and deep green valleys is an evocative sight to behold – and we’ll enjoy many opportunities to take in the breathtaking views as we make our way to Parador de Fuente Dé. Once here, we’ll savour an included lunch and enjoy more panoramic photo opportunities with a cable car ride to the Aliva viewpoint. After a spectacular day of exploring, we’ll end our day in Santillana del Mar – where a final tantalising group meal awaits. Accommodation: Hotel Altamira (or similar)
Day 7 - Santillana del Mar – Santander – Bilbao
Before our tour comes to an end, we’ll make a stop at the city of Santander to visit the emblematic Palacio de Magdalena. Built between 1909 and 1911, the palace once housed the Spanish Royal family and is one of the most prominent examples of civil architecture in northern Spain. After taking lunch at a local restaurant of your choosing, we’ll continue on and wind up our day in Bilbao – where we’ll say our goodbyes.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.