Canadian Visas

Whether it’s the stunning natural beauty, the sense of Commonwealth kinship or simply those super-friendly Canadians, we Aussies love a trip to Canada. On this page you’ll find everything you need to know about travel visas for Canada, who needs a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) and more.

Types Of Tourist Visa For Canada

If you’re flying into the country

Regardless of whether you’re visiting Canada for tourism, business, study, work, while in transit or for any other reason, if you’re flying into the country you’ll need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before you travel. You don’t need a visitor visa. An eTA costs only CAN$7 and most applicants get their eTA approval via email within minutes.

If you’re arriving by car, bus, train or boat

You won’t need an eTA if you’re entering Canada by car, bus, train or boat, although you will need the right travel documents. Australian citizens are visa-exempt, which means if you’re entering by land or sea all you will need is your passport.

If you’re travelling to Canada through the United States, including a transit stop in Honolulu or any other US point of entry, make sure you check your visa requirements with an Embassy or Consulate of the United States. If you have any questions, contact a Flight Centre Travel Expert for advice on travelling to Canada from the US.

How To Apply For A Canadian Visa

To get yourself an eTA for Canada, the process is easy, and is outlined on the Canadian Government’s eTA page. You’ll find the most up-to-date link on the Australian Government’s Smartraveller website. Basically, just get all your documentation ready first, because the online form cannot be saved. You’ll need your passport, credit or debit card, and you should read the ‘help’ document on the Canada eTA site before you start. Complete the online form, pay the CAN$7 fee, and then you’ll receive an email regarding your application.

Most applications are approved within minutes but it’s best to get your eTA before you book your flight to Canada because some requests can take several days to process. Once your eTA has been approved, it is electronically linked to your passport and valid for five years from the day it is issued or until your passport expires, whichever is earlier.

Make sure you print your eTA receipt as soon as payment is complete. You won’t be able to print it later or receive a copy of it.

Yes! You can apply for a Canadian eTA on behalf of a friend or family member.

The Canadian eTA form contains a section at the beginning of the form which asks if you are applying on behalf of someone else. This is helpful when you need to apply for a Canadian eTA on behalf of a child under the age of 18 (a minor) or perhaps an elderly relative who has neither a credit card nor an email address.

Please note: Visas are the individual responsibility of travellers. The information above is to be used as a guide only. Conditions can change suddenly so we recommend checking the Australian Government’s Smartraveller website for the latest updates.

If you have any questions regarding Canadian visas, call 133 133 and talk to a Flight Centre Travel Expert for advice.