From 31/03/2024 to 29/12/2026
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Mar Sun 31 2024 to Apr Tue 09 2024Limited AvailabilityFrom$1,380*
Apr Sun 07 2024 to Apr Tue 16 2024Sold OutFrom$1,380*
May Sun 19 2024 to May Tue 28 2024AvailableFrom$1,395*
Jul Sun 14 2024 to Jul Tue 23 2024AvailableFrom$1,395*
Aug Sun 04 2024 to Aug Tue 13 2024AvailableFrom$1,380*
Sep Sun 01 2024 to Sep Tue 10 2024AvailableFrom$1,380*
Oct Sun 06 2024 to Oct Tue 15 2024AvailableFrom$1,330*
Dec Sun 22 2024 to Dec Tue 31 2024AvailableFrom$1,330*
Feb Sun 09 2025 to Feb Tue 18 2025AvailableFrom$1,395*
Get the opportunity to meet our closest redheaded relatives at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and watch these gentle giants as they go about their day.
Hike to and from the rural village of Ratau, where you’ll mingle with the locals, take part in a cooking class, learn how to play the Gong and sleep in a traditional bamboo hut.
Take not one, not two but three river cruises on the Kinabatangan River to spot local wildlife – look out for pygmy elephants, slow lorises, flying foxes and proboscis monkeys among the teeming birdlife.
Take a snorkelling excursion to Pandan Pandan Island, where you’ll have multiple opportunities to dive under the clear waters and look for sea turtles, fish life, colourful corals and rays.
Then, kick back on the warm sands and lap up the sun!.
Meet the rescued sun bears at the Sun Bear Conservation Centre in Sepilok and learn about how this organisation works to rescue, protect, rehabilitate and hopefully reintroduce the sun bears back into the wild after they were mistreated.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, RESPonsible Elephant Conservation Trust (RESPECT).
Donations help them educate and engage local communities on the importance of conserving local habits for Borneo Pygmy Elephants.
Breakfasts Included: 9.
Lunches Included: 5.
Dinners Included: 5.
Hotel (2 nights),Hotel (Multi-share) (1 night),Bamboo Hut (1 night),Jungle Lodge (dormitory room) (3 nights),Guesthouse (Multi-share) (2 nights).
Age: min 18, max 29.
Group Size: 1 - 16.
Kiulu - Cooking Class.
Kiulu - Village Trek (2 days / 1 night).
Kiulu - Cultural Activities.
Kiulu - Dusun Martial Art Show.
Sepilok - Night Walk at Rainforest Discovery Centre.
Sepilok - Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre.
Sepilok - Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.
Kinabatangan River - Afternoon Wildlife Cruise.
Kinabatangan River - Night Jungle Walk.
Kinabatangan River - Morning Wildlife Cruise.
Pandan Pandan Island - Snorkelling Excursion.
1 - Kota Kinabalu Selamat datang! Welcome to Borneo. You'll kick things off in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah's state capital, with a welcome meeting at 6 pm tonight. If you arrive with time to spare, spend the day exploring this busy city's bustling markets and learning about the region's Indigenous cultures at the Sabah Museum. Kota Kinabalu has a great food scene, too, so tonight, maybe grab your new travel companions and eat dinner together at a local restaurant to get better acquainted - your leader will have the best recommendations.
2 - Kiulu Village Trek This morning after breakfast, you'll drive to Pukak in Kiulu Valley - a small area in Kiulu named after the bamboo that grows on the riverbanks. This will be the starting point of your trek to Kampung Ratau (Ratau Village), where you'll spend the night among the locals. After your hike this afternoon, you'll have the opportunity to participate in cultural activities - learn how to work with beads, join the group for some traditional fishing, take a cooking class to learn how to prepare the local food (which you'll enjoy later for dinner) and take a Gong (musical instrument) class. In your traditional bamboo hut, you'll fall asleep to the peaceful sounds of the village and its natural surroundings.
3 - Kiulu Village Trek - Kundasang This morning, you'll have breakfast in the village before continuing your trek through rural Kiulu, winding your way towards Lokub. When you arrive, you'll be treated to a traditional cultural dance and Dusun martial art show over lunch. After, continue by private vehicle to Kundasang, which sits in the shadow of Mount Kinabalu. When you arrive, settle in for a well-deserved rest after your two-day trek or wander the peaceful town to explore the mountain views before dinner.
4 - Sepilok After breakfast, you'll drive to Sepilok, on the border of a conserved rainforest and mangrove area known for the orangutan rehabilitation centre. This afternoon, you'll visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre, Malaysia's most educational nature park, which features a 620 m long, 28 m high canopy walkway with spectacular views of the giant rainforest trees. At dusk, you'll meet up with a local ranger and take a guided walk around the grounds - this place comes alive after dark, and you'll spot plenty of nocturnal birds overhead. Look out for slow lorises, tarsiers and flying squirrels, too! Tonight, you'll stay in a jungle lodge among lush greenery and untouched nature.
5 - Kinabatangan River This morning, you'll visit the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and meet the world's cutest redheads. These beautiful, quirky creatures will tug on your heartstrings as you watch them going about their daily business (eating bananas and hanging upside down). Swing by the nursery where young orangutans learn to climb on a specially constructed jungle gym and grab a selfie with them if you can! Later, spend some time at the Sun Bear Conservation Centre, where staff rescue and take care of the once-mistreated sun bears with the hopes of rehabilitating and reintroducing them into the wild. Refuel with some lunch and then make the journey to tonight's jungle lodge near the banks of the Kinabatangan River. When you've settled into your lodge, you'll hit the water for a river cruise. Keep an eye out for wild orangutans, proboscis monkeys and maybe even a few pygmy elephants.
6 - Kinabatangan River This morning, wake up to the sounds of the jungle and have some breakfast before setting out for your first of two included river cruises today. Keep your eyes peeled, and you might be lucky enough to spot short and long-tail macaques, a variety of birds, including hornbills and kingfishers, crocodiles or reptiles like snakes and frogs. After a spot of lunch, you'll hit the water again and continue your search along the river's waters for wildlife and jungle scenery. Tonight, take a night walk with your leader, looking for nocturnal birds, insects and other wildlife that come alive after sunset. You'll have dinner together at your lodge.
7 - Usukan Cove After breakfast this morning, leave your jungle oasis and embark on the overland journey to the West Coast of Sabah. This is a long drive, so have your favourite book or travel games ready. Arrive at Usukan Cove - a bay area on the coast of Kota Belud. You'll spend the night in a lodge, nestled on one of the eight beaches within the cove. Maybe catch the sunset before tonight's group dinner.
8 - Usukan Cove This morning, fuel up on breakfast and embark on a day trip to Pandan Pandan Island for a day of snorkelling. When you arrive on the small island, head out on your first snorkelling adventure from the beach and spot colourful fish, sea turtles and sting rays. Your second snorkel will be from the pontoon to get another chance to spot the gorgeous corals and diverse marine wildlife under the water's edge. Stop at another beach for a group lunch to refuel and then this afternoon, you can relax at the beach and soak in the sun. If you like, you can also head out for another beach snorkelling adventure, before travelling back to your guesthouse in the late afternoon.
9 - Kota Kinabalu Drag yourself away from the island this morning and make the drive back to Kota Kinabalu. The afternoon's free for you to check out some optional activities - maybe take an interactive and educational visit to Koisaan Cultural Village to see how Indigenous ethnic groups of Borneo used to live. Tonight, maybe head out with your new mates and mark the end of your adventure with a group dinner. Your leader will have some great recommendations for where to go on the waterfront. The nightlife here is also worth exploring, so maybe after dinner go bar hopping and soak up the city after dusk.
10 - Kota Kinabalu There are no activities today and your Borneo adventure will come to an end. If you'd like to stay longer, just speak to your booking agent.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans