Hidden Tribes of Ethiopia
From 29/12/2019 to 27/12/2020
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Witness traditional lifestyles of various tribal groups in the Omo Valley.
Lake Chamo boat trip to view hippos and water birds.
Be enthralled by spectacular Rift Valley scenery.
Experience the unique cultures of the Mursi, Hamer and Karo tribes.
6 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 6 dinners3 star hotels wherever possible on twinshare basisprivate 4WD transportlocal guides in each location (English speaking guide throughout for 6 or more guests)driver-guide plus local guides for each location (for 5 or less guests)entry fees as per itineraryboat trip on Lake ChamoWorld Expeditions does not require single travellers to pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room at no extra charge.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please refer to our website for the additional cost.
Group Size: 4 - 16.
Day 1 - Drive from Addis to Arba Minch, (450km) via Hossana The name of Addis Ababa, in Amharic, means “new flower”. Founded in 1886 by Menelik II, it is located at 2,500 meters above sea level in one of the highest parts of the Entoto mountain chain. It enjoys an excellent climate all year round, with an average temperature of 25°C. You will need to fly in a day prior to the trip departure; Addis Ababa is the third highest capital city in the world and the altitude may fatigue you easily... so take it easy when you arrive. If you have time in Addis Ababa before/after the trip you can undertake a tour of this fascinating city, and visit the National Museum, take in the city’s wide, tree-lined streets or the bustle of the “Mercato” (market). This colourful market has an array of fascinating goods and curios, providing a great place for exploration and people watching. Throughout the city there are shops that sell typical artisan wares, materials and antiques. This morning we depart Addis Ababa at 08:00hrs. Please be ready in the lobby of the hotel specified on your tour voucher at 07:30hrs. There is a long drive to Arba Minch via Hossana (450km). This is the region inhabited by the people of the Guragie, who were once nomads but are now farmers. A long section of the road offers magnificent views of Lake Abaya, surrounded by mountains. The lake has volcanic origins and is almost pink in color. Overnight Paradise Lodge or Swaynes Hotel (or similar).
Day 2 - Boat trip on Lake Chamo, drive to Jinka This morning we enjoy a boat trip on Lake Chamo - one of the best in Ethiopia. There is a chance to spot many hippos and large concentrations of giant crocodiles. Water birds abound and the scenery is truly unforgettable. The lake is about 32km long and provides a lush wetland habitat for many species of flora and fauna. In the afternoon we drive to Jinka (250km, 5-6 hr drive). Overnight Jinka Resort (or similar)
Day 3 - Mursi village visit, Jinka Museum, drive to Turmi Today our journey begins with an excursion to a Mursi village (approx 66km from Jinka). The Mursi are one of the original ethnic groups in Ethiopia. They live in very low huts made of straw leaves. The women like to wear terra cotta jewellery on their enormously stretched lower lips and ear lobes. The men are famous for their hairstyle. Then we visit the Jinka Museum, which contains the Southern Omo Research Centre's permanent cultural collection and continuing research of the various ethnic groups and provides an in-depth overview into the people and traditions of the Omo Valley. This afternoon we drive to Turmi (120km), one of the largest towns in the region. Overnight Buska Lodge or Turmi Lodge (or similar)
Day 4 - Karo and Hamer villages This morning we begin with a memorable excursion to the Karo Tribe (approx 63km drive), who are very famous for their body painting. The Karo people use clays and locally available vegetable pigments to trace fantastic patterns on each other’s faces, chests, arms, and legs. Karo men, as with neighbouring tribes, are also famous for their unique hairstyle. In the afternoon we visit a Hamer village. The Hamer tribe (also called Hammer or Hamar) is one of the largest groups in the Valley. The Hamer cultivate millet, vegetables, tobacco and cotton as well as raising cattle and goats. They are known for the fine pottery they produce as well as their remarkable hairstyling. Most dramatic of all are the clay hair buns with ostrich feathers that the men don when they have killed a fierce animal. These hair buns stay on for 3-6 months at a time. The women wear beaded necklaces and iron coils around their arms and decorate their skin with cowry shells. These decorations indicate the wealth and prestige of a woman’s husband. We return to Turmi in the evening. Overnight Buska Lodge or Turmi Lodge (or similar)
Day 5 - Return to Arba Minch, via Konso tribal village As we have seen already, Ethiopia has a huge diversity of ethnic groups and today we will witness the distinguishing behaviour of another of these. We travel north to Arba Minch (approx 270km), en-route visiting a Konso tribal village - a World Heritage listed site of cultural significance. Invariably built on hilltops as protection from the lowland tribes, traditional Konso villages are surrounded by high stonewalls and encompass separate compounds, with outlying terraced agricultural fields. You will be fascinated by the unique architectural aspects, largely unchanged cultural heritage and social cohesion of the village, and how it has adapted to its harsh environment. Another highlight is the famous 'wagas' - a funerary tradition where magnificent carved wooden sculptures were created in honour of Konso warrior heroes who have killed an enemy or animal, and often grouped to represent the man, his wives and his adversaries. Overnight Paradise Lodge or Swaynes Hotel (or similar)
Day 6 - Dorze village, to Lake Langano We visit a Dorze village this morning (approx 30km drive). One of the smaller ethnic groups, the Dorze are known for their textile weaving and bee hive shaped huts. In the afternoon we drive to the shores of Lake Langano, a freshwater lake popular with locals and tourists alike for its wildlife and water sports. Overnight Sabanna Resort (or similar)
Day 7 - Return to Addis Ababa, trip concludes on arrival This morning there is time to relax by the lake. After lunch we drive back to Addis Ababa (approx 210km), passing more Rift Valley Lakes on the way. Upon arrival in Addis Ababa this evening (at approx 18:30hrs) trip arrangements conclude. We will be dropped off at central hotels or at the airport (one group drop-off only). Transfers to the airport at any other time can be arranged for additional cost. Accommodation in Addis can also be arranged for additional cost. Please ask your consultant for details.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.