Vanuatu Expedition: Land Diving Festival
From 17/05/2024 to 18/06/2024
Witness naghol, the unique land-diving ceremony of South Pentecost (and the inspiration for the modern sport of bungee jumping).
Visit remote villages accompanied by a local leader who will ensure you have an immersive experience of Vanuatu's unique cultural practices.
Stay in traditional bamboo bungalows and enjoy meals cooked with love by the village mamas using fresh organic produce from the gardens and the sea.
Snorkel and swim in pristine blue waters and relax in the sun on the beautiful beaches of the South Pacific.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (2 nights),Village Bungalow (2 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 7.
Pentecost - Naghol (Land Diving) Ceremony.
Pentecost - Traditional kava welcome ceremony.
Pentecost - Half-day island hike.
Pentecost - Traditional outrigger canoe ride.
Pango Peninsula - Snorkelling.
1 - Port Vila Welcome to Port Vila, the capital of Vanuatu. Your adventure begins today with a welcome meeting at 5 pm at your accommodation. There are no other activities planned for the day. If you arrive with time to spare before the welcome meeting, the heart of the city and the waterfront promenade are just a short walk from the hotel.
2 - Pentecost Start the day early to catch a flight to Lonorore on Pentecost island, where you will have the chance to witness and understand the cultural practices of the land-diving Indigenous people, as well as explore the remote South Pentecost region. Transfer straight to the land diving tower to see the heart-stopping naghol ceremony. You'll be amazed at what Lonely Planet has described as 'the most remarkable custom in all of Melanesia'. Watch the jumpers haul themselves off the platforms as part of a ritual that functions as a coming-of-age for young men, a blessing of the earth for upcoming harvests, and a nod to an age-old Pentecost legend. Afterwards, when day trip visitors board their vehicles to head back to the airport, you will make your way to a nearby coastal village for the chance to meet your local hosts and enjoy a traditional lunch. Spend the afternoon exploring the village, when you'll have the opportunity to meet and talk to some of the men who dived from the tower in the morning. As the sun sets across the ocean, your hosts will prepare a traditional kava ceremony to formally welcome you to the village.
3 - Pentecost Today you'll explore the natural beauty of the region through a half-day hike through rainforest and villages or along the beach - another chance to meet and connect with the communities who call this special place home. End the day swimming and relaxing at the beautiful beaches. Your beach bungalow accommodation is the perfect way to soak up the island paradise vibes.
4 - Pentecost - Pango Peninsula - Port Vila This morning your new land diving friends will take you for a paddle in a traditional outrigger canoe, before an early afternoon transfer to the airport for the charter flight back to Port Vila. On arrival, drive 15 minutes to the Pango Peninsula for an easy walk along the coast and bays to a special snorkelling spot, where you can get acquainted with the underwater world and enjoy spectacular coral gardens as your final included activity of the trip. Enjoy your last Vanuatu sunset over an optional final night dinner tonight.
5 - Port Vila After an included breakfast, you will head out snorkelling if you were not able to do it yesterday. Your Vanuatu experience then concludes today on return back to Port Vila, after which you are free to depart at any time.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 February 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans