Ireland: Kilkenny & Surrounds
From 09/07/2021 to 27/09/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Jul Fri 09 2021 to Jul Tue 13 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
Jul Fri 23 2021 to Jul Tue 27 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
Aug Fri 06 2021 to Aug Tue 10 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
Aug Fri 20 2021 to Aug Tue 24 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
Sep Fri 03 2021 to Sep Tue 07 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
Sep Fri 17 2021 to Sep Tue 21 2021AvailableFrom$2,145*
May Fri 06 2022 to May Tue 10 2022AvailableFrom$2,145*
Learn the tricks of the trade at a local farm, with a live sheep herding demonstration and an insight into a rural way of life, plus a picnic lunch to soak it all in.
Try your hand at the Gaelic game of Hurling – one of Ireland’s treasured national sports.
After a city tour of Kilkenny, join a local team to hear about its ancient roots and give it a go yourself!.
Cycle through the lush Irish countryside as you explore the Waterford Greenway – a traffic-free trail built on a disused railway line – and hike along the River Nore to Kilkenny Castle.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 1.
Comfortable Hotel (4 nights).
Train,Public bus,Private vehicle,Taxi,Bicycle,On foot.
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Wicklow Mountains - Local Picnic Lunch.
Wicklow Mountains - Sheepfarm Visit & Sheepdog Demonstration.
Glendalough - Visit to Monastic Site.
Kilkenny - Dinner at Kyteler Inn Pub.
Kilkenny - Hurling Experience.
Kilkenny - Leader-led Walking Tour.
Kilmacthomas - Waterford Greenway Bike Tour.
Waterford - Day Trip by Train.
Bennettsbridge - Hike along the River Nore.
Kilkenny - Live Music & Whiskey Tasting at a Local Pub.
Day 1 - Dublin / Wicklow Mountains / Glendalough / Kilkenny Welcome to Ireland! Meet your fellow travellers at Dublin’s Green Hotel this morning – further details can be found in the ‘Joining Point Instructions’ of your Essential Trip Information. From here, jump in your private vehicle and head through the Wicklow Mountains National Park to the ancient monastic settlement at Glendalough. Listen up to your group leader as they fill you in on local lore, myths and legends of the ruins and surrounding mountain range. Continue to a nearby sheep farm, where you’ll discover the rural way of life here in Ireland. Enjoy a picnic lunch at the farm, complete with local treats, then witness a sheep herding demonstration. Skilled border collie dogs are well practised when it comes to this task, rounding up the flock and taking the commands from their shepherd. Afterwards, head to Kilkenny, located in what is known as Ireland's ancient east – this is your base for the next four nights. Settle in to your comfortable and centrally located accommodation, and perhaps round up some friends of your own with an optional first dinner in town. Be sure to ask your leader their restaurant recommendations!
Day 2 - Kilkenny This morning after breakfast, get your walking shoes on for a guided city tour around Kilkenny. Afterwards, keep the activity going as you participate in one of Ireland’s treasured national sports – Hurling. This Gaelic game is one of the fastest field sports in the world, and forms part of the lifeblood of the country. Join one of the local teams in town for an introduction to the ancient roots of the sport, then don the gear and give it a go yourself! This afternoon, take a breather – the city is all yours to explore at your own pace. Your leader can help you organise an itinerary for the rest of the day, perhaps heading to Kilkenny Castle, Canice’s Cathedral or Rothe’s House & Garden. Otherwise, if you just want to stroll Kilkenny’s so-called ‘Medieval Mile’, go for it! Keep in mind that tonight you’ve got a special meal planned at the 13th century Kyteler Inn pub. Fun fact – this pub is most famous for its original owner, Alice Kyteler, who was tried and convicted as a witch. Yes, you read right!
Day 3 - Kilmacthomas / Waterford / Kilkenny A short train journey this morning brings the group to Waterford, where you’ll transfer to a bus and head to Kilmacthomas – a picture-perfect village at the foot of the Comeragh Mountains. Once arrived, hop on two wheels as you take a leisurely cycle along the Waterford Greenway, which was once a railway line and now converted into a traffic-free cycle path. Your leader will point out some hidden gems along the way, including a Hurley maker’s workshop, small art galleries, quaint gardens and a couple of cafes. Plus, the scenery along the trail is quintessential Irish countryside, so be sure to have a camera handy. On your return to Waterford, the rest of the day is yours to explore at your own pace. You might like to ask your leader where to find the Wall Art Project, or else, go searching for the strong medieval and Viking heritage in town or visit the famous Waterford Crystal workshop.
Day 4 - Bennettsbridge / Kilkenny Join your group on a short taxi transfer this morning as you head off to discover the small village of Bennettsbridge. Historically, this town has been a hub for milling as it is located in the heart of the grain-rich farmlands of rural Kilkenny. Begin a short hike near the studio of a world-renowned Irish potter at their riverside converted mill building, which you can visit, depending on the group’s desires. From here, follow your guide on a trek back into the city, hugging the banks of the River Nore – part of the mighty river system known as The Three Sisters. A host of cottage industries sprung up along the river during the pre-Famine years, including breweries, woollen mills, marble works and flax mills. The hike will finish up on the grounds of the 11th century Kilkenny Castle. Tonight, join your group and raise a toast to the Irish countryside with an included whiskey tasting session, accompanied by some traditional live Irish music in a local pub. Cheers!
Day 5 - Kilkenny / Dublin After an included breakfast, board a train with your group from Kilkenny to Dublin Heuston Station (approximately 1.5 hours). Your tour ends on arrival at the train station around 1 pm, where you are free to continue your own adventure or begin your homeward journey.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans