Stunning NZ South Island Self Drive Holiday
Highlights - Tick New Zealand's pristine South Island off your bucket-list with this laid-back self-drive tour. Enjoy the peaceful, easy to navigate back roads in your included hire car to iconic sights including Te Anau, Milford Sound, vibrant Queenstown and rugged Greymouth. Relax each night in centrally located quality hotels while you traverse from the East Coast to West via the lakes, fiords and stunning mountain ranges of the South Island. Complete your scenic South Island Circuit with a once-in-a-lifetime TranzAlpine rail journey back to Christchurch and home on your included return flight.Day 1 Arrive Christchurch
Travel from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide* or Perth* today, to Christchurch, New Zealand. On arrival, collect your Ezi Car Rental hire car (Toyota Corolla Auto or similar) and make your way to your centrally located hotel.
Accommodation: Ramada Suites ChristchurchDay 2 Christchurch - Dunedin (self drive)
Start the day in your own time, then head south from the Garden City toward Dunedin. Plenty of photo opportunities and rest stops will appeal along the way. Consider making time to visit Oamaru's Victorian Precinct, or Moeraki; famously home to the mysterious spherical Boulders and Fleur's seafood restaurant.
Accommodation: Distinction Dunedin HotelDay 3 Dunedin - Te Anau (self drive)
Take the Great Southern Scenic Route from Dunedin to Te Anau today. From the coastal east to the southern Fiords, take in coastal, pastoral, lakeside and mountain vistas with plenty of sleepy towns to visit for rest stops and delicious locally sourced meals.
Accommodation: Distinction Luxmore Te AnauDay 4 Te Anau - Milford Sound Day Tour
Wake up in Te Anau, with time to explore before joining your comfortable coach tour into Fiordland National Park. Expect stunning views and endless photo ops on this short drive. Then, board your Milford Sound Cruise to sail the length of the fiord, skirting cliffs and deep coves to view native forest and cascading waterfalls up close. Enjoy included lunch onboard and cruise to the mouth of the fiord and Tasman Sea before returning to the wharf and back to Te Anau in the late afternoon.
Accommodation: Distinction Luxmore Te AnauDay 5 Te Anau - Queenstown (self drive)
It's just a few hours' drive to beautiful Queenstown today. The 'adventure capital' is equally famous for its fantastic dining options, nearby wineries and European Ski Resort atmosphere. Explore and relax in your own time, with included Skyline Gondola and luge rides to enjoy.
Accommodation: Garden Court Suites & Apartments QueenstownDay 6 Queenstown
Enjoy another full day in and around Queenstown.
Accommodation: Garden Court Suites & Apartments QueenstownDay 7 Queenstown - Franz Josef (self drive)
Travel through some of the most beautiful scenery in the South Island today. The drive from Queenstown to Franz Josef passes through the picturesque towns of Wanaka, Hawea and Haast, before arriving in Franz Josef for a 2 night stay.
Accommodation: Scenic Hotel Franz JosefDay 8 Franz Josef
Choose from an array of scenic activities from bush walks to heli-flights as you explore the South Island's Glacier region.
Accommodation: Scenic Hotel Franz JosefDay 9 Franz Josef - Greymouth (self drive) - Christchurch TranzAlpine Rail
Follow the rugged West Coast on your drive this morning, to arrive in Greymouth around lunch time. After returning the hire car, board the world-famous TranzAlpine Rail for a once-in-a-lifetime rail journey across the South Island. Take in jaw-dropping views from panoramic windows in warmth and comfort as the train ascends through lush forest and the Otira tunnel before pausing at alpine Arthurs Pass. Then descend slowly alongside the Waimakariri River and across the Canterbury Plain to Christchurch. An unforgettable way to conclude your self-drive adventure around the South Island.
At the time of publication, future TranzAlpine Rail timetables have not been confirmed. Departure times are estimated based on current schedules. Final documentation will confirm exact Trans Alpine details.
Accommodation: Ramada Suites ChristchurchDay 10 Depart Christchurch
Make your own way to the airport for your return flight home.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 June 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- ^LOW DEPOSIT:.
- An initial deposit from $199 per person is required to secure your booking.
- The final balance is due 4 months before departure.
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply.
- Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.