Northern Vietnam Adventure
From 11/11/2019 to 03/12/2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Nov Mon 11 2019 to Nov Wed 20 2019Sold OutFrom$1,385*
Nov Mon 18 2019 to Nov Wed 27 2019AvailableFrom$1,156*
Feb Mon 24 2020 to Mar Wed 04 2020AvailableFrom$1,315*
Mar Mon 23 2020 to Apr Wed 01 2020AvailableFrom$1,340*
Apr Mon 13 2020 to Apr Wed 22 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
Apr Mon 20 2020 to Apr Wed 29 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
May Mon 04 2020 to May Wed 13 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
Jul Mon 06 2020 to Jul Wed 15 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
Sep Mon 14 2020 to Sep Wed 23 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
Sep Mon 28 2020 to Oct Wed 07 2020AvailableFrom$1,265*
Oct Mon 12 2020 to Oct Wed 21 2020AvailableFrom$1,315*
Stay in a local homestay and get to know our H'mong hosts invite you to learn about their rich culture, to share stories and to try some of their local home cooked cuisine.
As the dramatic mountains of Heaven’s Gate soar above the green forests and rice paddies of Ha Giang, a deep appreciation of this region's landscape will be understood as you journey through it.
Mrs Mai’s Responsible Tourism project in Dong Van is an eye-opening insight into the world of human trafficking.
Learn about the amazing efforts made by an inspirational project to free their country of this crime.
Float along the lake, viewing magnificent waterfalls and wildlife in the Ba Be National Park.
A traditional homestay is the perfect way to access remote parts of this region and to get a real glimpse of Vietnamese life.
Finish your trip with a memorable farewell dinner at KOTO restaurant, which serves up delicious meals and supports underprivileged kids at the same time.
Breakfasts Included: 9.
Lunches Included: 2.
Dinners Included: 3.
Hotel (7 nts),Homestay (2 nts).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Sapa - Lao Chai trek and homestay.
Ba Be - Waterfall.
Hanoi - KOTO dinner.
Day 1 - Hanoi Xin chao. Welcome to Vietnam. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place. We'll be collecting insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you bring these details to provide to your leader. The meeting is generally followed by an optional group meal out at one of Hanoi's fantastic eating spots. If you have time before the meeting, head out and discover Hanoi. It's a good idea to take a hotel business card so you can find your way back.
Day 2 - Sapa Homestay In the morning, take a bus transfer from Hanoi towards Lao Chai in the Sapa region. The drive may take a little while (approx. 5 hours), which makes for the perfect opportunity to get to know your fellow travellers a bit better. Press on along the winding road before taking your first glimpse of Lao Chai village, sitting comfortably in a valley with cleared hillsides and rustic farmland. Stretch your legs as you walk off the bus, then begin a trek to your homestay in Ta Van (approximately 10 km; 6 mi), enjoying a picnic lunch stop on the way. Your homestay is comfy, quaint and surrounded by pristine farmland.
Day 3 - Sapa After breakfast at your homestay trek to Giang Ta Chai – home to the Red Dzao hill people. Push on through 5 kilometres of terraced farmland and bamboo scrub for excellent views of emerald valleys and rushing waterfalls as you stroll on by. Rest your legs on the bus ride back to Sapa. Once you arrive in Sapa, enjoy some free time to rest your legs. If you still have some energy perhaps visit the local market. This is where you can indulge in some local goods, such as dyed fabrics, hemp plants and handmade textiles. In the evening, settle into your hotel in Sapa for the night.
Day 4 - Ha Giang In the morning, embark on a long bus journey (approximately 7 hours) to the province of Ha Giang. This is a highland region of forests and terraced rice paddies, with the mountains of Heaven’s Gate (Quan Ba pass) soaring in the background. The Ha Giang province also shares a border with southern China, and is known as Vietnam's final frontier. After relaxing and getting to know your surrounds, visit the local markets and shop fronts, which are relics of a bygone era. Afterwards venture to the the local museum and explore Cuom Village, witnessing the colourful traditional dress of the local people. The evening is then free to do as you please.
Day 5 - Dong Van Today, leave for the first of many scenic mountain drives throughout Ha Giang province. Stop to browse Minh Tao Market before wandering through the village of Nam Luong. A visit to Mrs Mai’s Responsible Tourism project will be a highlight of the day. Learn about the stories of human trafficking and how the victims/witnesses of this crime found the opportunity of a life free from exploitation here. Afterwards pass through Lung Tam textile village and the Vuong Family Palace in Sa Phin commune, before continuing to Dong Van where you'll spend the night.
Day 6 - Dong Van After breakfast visit the local market, before setting off on a trekking loop that starts and finishes in Dong Van. The trek (approximately 4 hours in total) is surprisingly moderate and suitable for those with an average fitness level. Wind your way through the spectacular landscape, where you can expect to witness glorious views and capture some amazing pictures of lush valleys and rice paddies. The evening is then free to relax or explore more of Dong Van.
Day 7 - Bao Lac Drive past terraced rice farms on the road to Bao Lac (approximately 4 hours), a small town in the mountainous region of northern Vietnam. The area is home to the Black Lo Lo ethnic group, who are well known for their colourful attire and finesse in making bronze drums. The bronze drums hold a special place in Lo Lo customs, being used at funerals and important family events. In Lo Lo culture, only the sound of the drums can help the souls of the dead find their way to the birthplace of their ancestors. Stay overnight in Bao Lac and perhaps explore the local marketplace and learn more about this fascinating culture.
Day 8 - Ba Be Lake Travel on to Ba Be Lake early in the morning (approximately 4 hours). Once there, head down the river by boat on an exploration of Ba Be National Park, visiting the largest natural lake in Vietnam. Disembark for some light walks along the way, visiting the impressive waterfalls that feed the lake and observing the natural flora and fauna. Return to land in the afternoon and head to a family-owned guesthouse where you will be spending the night. The family you’re staying with will prepare lunch and the rest of the day is then free to explore. In the evening sit down for a delicious dinner with your hosts. This is a great opportunity to gain an insight into their lives and culture.
Day 9 - Hanoi Head back to Hanoi after breakfast, which should take between four and five hours. Use your free time exploring the boulevards and colonial buildings of the city. If you have time, visit the Hanoi Military Museum or take a look inside the city's spectacular Opera House. For your final evening in Hanoi, perhaps share a final dinner with the group at KOTO cafe, a project aimed at providing vocational training to underprivileged young people.
Day 10 - Hanoi Your Northern Vietnam Adventure comes to an end after breakfast, as there are no more activities planned for today. You're free to depart the accommodation at any time.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 19 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..