New Caledonia Kanak Village Hike
From 04/10/2021 to 08/10/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Oct Mon 04 2021 to Oct Sat 09 2021Sold OutFrom$3,190*
May Mon 09 2022 to May Sat 14 2022AvailableFrom$3,190*
Jun Mon 20 2022 to Jun Sat 25 2022AvailableFrom$3,190*
Jul Mon 11 2022 to Jul Sat 16 2022AvailableFrom$3,190*
Aug Mon 22 2022 to Aug Sat 27 2022AvailableFrom$3,190*
Get off the well trodden tourist trail and walk the GR North Track of New Caledonia (GR NORD).
Trek through a variety of diverse landscapes on this 4 day trek.
See amazing diversity of flora and fauna endemic to the tropical climes.
Learn about the local Kanak culture and village life you will encounter along the trail.
5 breakfasts, 6 picnic lunches and 5 dinners5 nights fully supported camping in kanak villages on a multi-share basis with shared ablution facilitiesProfessional local guide and support staffPrivate transportationSightseeing as listed in itineraryTrack feesMedical kitDuring the trip you will be accommodated in a traditional kanak hut with basic comforts (1 hut for 6-8 people, with sleeping mattress on the floor), and basic shared ablutions for the group (1 shower/toilet).
Single tents may be available for hire - ask us for details.
Group Size: 6 - 12.
Day 1 - Join Noumea, early morning drive to Tchamba (5 hrs) We pick you up at your accommodation in Noumea by private vehicle to the North Province (Ponérihouen), driving though the rolling fertile farmlands and nickel mining pits of the West cowboy country. We enjoy a stop for lunch in front of the largest lagoon in the world. Bourail town is the last stop for supplies before the start of the trek (ie. snacks, bottled water, wine, beer, soft drinks). Afterwards we cross to the East Coast via Col des Roussettes Pass and drive between the mountains and the coast. Arrival at Tchamba kanak village where you will be meet your host for dinner and accommodation. Remainder of the day at leisure to explore the local village and prepare for the trek. Approx driving time: 5 hrs. NOTE - Upon arrival at each Kanak village during the trek, you will make a welcome custom with your host or the local chief. Your guide will provide you with more details.
Day 2 - Commence kanak village hike, trek from Tchamba to St Thomas (7 hr, 20 km; ascent 790m/descent 780m) The kanak people are the indigenous people of New Caledonia and are its largest ethnic group. They have inhabited the archipelago for about 6000 years, living in autonomous tribal communities in the narrow valleys between the mountains. We commence trekking the GR North Track (GR NORD) between the peaceful Tchamba Valley and Amoa Valley. Over the next 4 days, you will experience a wonderful diversity of landscapes crossing typical kanak fields, old coffee plantations, rainforests, open savanna, endemic trees and beautiful flora. Approx walking time/distance/gradient: 7 hr, 20 km; ascent 790m/descent 780m
Day 3 - Trek to Pombei (7-9 hr; 19.3 km; ascent 960m/descent 970m) Walking between ridgelines and rainforest, the trail today is more physically demanding with many ascents and descents. The terrain is quite exposed with little shade in parts, so remember to keep hydrated. The landscape is constantly changing from paper bark (Niaouli) savanna forest to lush rainforest with beautiful endemic flora and giant Kaori trees. We enjoy our packed lunch with scenic views at Pineapple Pass. Following a steep downhill at the end and another river crossing, you will be warmly welcomed upon arrival at Pombei kanak village. Reward yourself with a refreshing dip in the river. Approx walking time/distance/gradient: 7-9 hr; 19.3 km; ascent 960m/descent 970m
Day 4 - Trek to Tiwae (7-8 hr; 16.8 km; ascent 980m/descent 750m) This morning we cross the river twice so it is best to wear your water sandals. Today is the hardest walking day with uneven terrain, vertiginous drops and narrow paths, so care must be taken as it can be slippery underfoot. The trail is extremely hilly with lots of ascents and descents in well-preserved rainforest where giant trees abound. There is an opportunity to swim in some natural pools. Keep an eye and ear out for the call of either the endemic Notou pigeon, flightless Cagou or green parakeet, or sightings of wild deer. The last few kilometres are along the road leading to the remote and welcoming Tiwae kanak village. Approx walking time/distance/gradient: 7-8 hr; 16.8 km; ascent 980m/descent 750m
Day 5 - Trek to Ouanache (5.5-6.5 hr; 16.8 km; ascent 712m/descent 600m) Our final trekking day is equally demanding with steep ascents and descents, very exposed with little shade, narrow paths and loose scree. We walk through local villages before walking through typical New Calédonia savanna with wonderful water views onto the coastal lagoon. The final section of the trail is in shady forest passing by limestone karstic formations, which we can explore after arrival at Ouanache campsite. Approx walking time/distance/gradient: 5.5-6.5 hr; 16.8 km; ascent 712m/descent 600m
Day 6 - Drive to Noumea, trip concludes (5 hrs) This morning we will drive from the East Coast to the West Coast. Lunch enroute before arriving into Noumea, where the trip concludes. Approx driving time: 5 hrs
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 October 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans