Chennai to Kochi - 9 Days
From 2022-11-12 to 2023-12-09
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Nov Sat 12 2022 to Nov Sun 20 2022AvailableFrom$1,745*
Dec Sat 10 2022 to Dec Sun 18 2022AvailableFrom$1,745*
Jan Sat 14 2023 to Jan Sun 22 2023AvailableFrom$1,745*
Mar Sat 04 2023 to Mar Sun 12 2023AvailableFrom$1,745*
Apr Sat 08 2023 to Apr Sun 16 2023AvailableFrom$1,745*
May Sat 06 2023 to May Sun 14 2023AvailableFrom$1,645*
7 nights 3-4 star hotels.
Guided sightseeing - Mahabalipuram, Kanchipuram Temples, Pondicherry and Madurai.
1 overnight sleeper train Trichy to Kochi.
Escorted by an English-speaking Indian tour guide (for groups of 6 or more).
Services of English-speaking Indian specialist guides at some sites.
Airport arrival and departure transfer on days 1 and 9.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private air-conditioned vehicles.
Day 1 - Chennai Chennai - Mahabalipuram. Saturday. Welcome to Southern India! On arrival at the airport you’ll be transferred to our hotel in Mahabalipuram, which is around a 90 minute drive away. The rest of the day is free to explore. Perhaps visit the giant Krishna’s Butterball - this 250 ton boulder is perched on a slope - and looks like it could roll down at any moment, when in fact it has stood here for 1,200 years.
Day 2 - Mahabalipuram We start our day meeting the rest of our group and guide for a welcome meeting at 8:00 before visiting the ancient city of Kanchipuram to see some of its impressive temple sites. Explore the northern Shiva temples and some of the 15 temples dedicated to the god Vishnu.
In the afternoon we return to Mahabalipuram and delight in a tour of the town’s highlights. We’ll explore the impressive Shore Temple overlooking the beautiful Bay of Bengal before continuing to the world’s largest bas-relief carving, Arjuna’s Penance, which tells the story of the descent of the sacred Ganges from the heavens to Earth. Our final stop is to the Five Rathas, five giant temples that were all individually carved from five rocks and covered by sand until the British rediscovered them around 200 years ago.
Day 3 - Pondicherry Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry. This morning we depart Mahabalipuram and travel to the former colonial city of Pondicherry, where the French influence is still visible in the architecture. Visit Pondicherry Beach and the beautiful 19th century Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
Day 4 - Thanjavur Pondicherry - Tanjore. After breakfast we head away from the coastal Pondicherry to an important centre of South Indian religion, art and architecture - Tanjore (Thanjavur). En route we'll visit temples in the towns of Chidambaram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Darssuram. Continue to the UNESCO-listed Airavateswara Temple and marvel at the stone carvings here before we reach Tanjore, our final stop for the day, for an afternoon at leisure.
Day 5 - Madurai Tanjore - Madurai. This morning we discover the ancient fortified town of Tanjore, with a guided tour exploring the glorious history dating back more than 1,500 years. Take in the incredible Brihadishwara Temple. The dome on top of this giant temple was hauled into place in a similar way to the construction of the pyramids in Egypt.
Continue to Madurai this afternoon, where we check in to our hotel, before making our way to Meenakshi Temple to enjoy an Aarti Ceremony, a Hindu ritual of worship, where candles are lit and songs are sung in honour of the gods
Day 6 - Madurai Enjoy a half day city tour of Madurai today, taking in highlights including the impressive Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal temple and Thirupparankunram Murugan, which is cut straight into the rock. Gaze in awe at this colourful site before our tour ends at the bustling Madurai bazaar.
Day 7 - Trichy Madurai - Trichy - Kochi. Leave Madurai today and stop at Ranganathaswamy Temple. This colourful temple is located on an island in the river and is one of the largest functioning Hindu temples in the world. Our next stop is the most prominent landmark in the city: the famous Rock Fort Temple in Trichy (Tiruchirappalli). Originally a temple, its strategic location on top of a giant ancient rock meant that it became an important fortification in the 16th century. In the evening we board the overnight train to Kochi.
Day 8 - Kochi On arrival in Kochi this morning you’ll be transferred to our hotel. The rest of today is free to explore Kochi as you please. Why not enjoy a Kathakali dance show? This traditional form of dance originated in Kerala and is known for its exciting costumes and use of make up.
Day 9 - Kochi Sunday. Our Indian adventure comes to an end today with an included departure transfer to the airport.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans