Mount Kenya Ascent
From 29/12/2019 to 27/12/2020
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Climb Point Lenana (4985m), the highest trekking peak on Mt Kenya.
Traverse Mount Kenya from East to West via the Chogoria and Sirimon routes.
Ascend via the quieter and more dramatic Chogoria route.
Delight in the beautiful alpine scenery and views.
Search for wildlife in the lower slopes.
6 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 5 dinners1 night in 3 star hotel on a twinshare basis5 nights fully supported camping on a twinshare tent basisGroup camping equipment including tent (sleeping bag and mat not included)Experienced local guides, cook and camp crewPorters to carry personal and group equipmentPrivate return transfers from Nairobi to Mt KenyaPark entrance fees valued at US$300World Expeditions does not require single travellers to pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room at no extra charge.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please refer to our website for the additional cost.
Group Size: 4 - 15.
Day 1 - Join Nairobi On arrival in Nairobi, please make your way to the group hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure in Kenya's capital city.
Day 2 - Drive to Mt Kenya National Park This morning we head to Chogoria Village (approx. 4-5 hours drive). In the afternoon you will ascend the steep and rutted track to the Bandas (cottages) in woodland near the Chogoria gate (3,017m) of the Mt Kenya National Park. We will stay here for the night. Our gear will be transported by Land Rovers while we acclimatise with our first walk at altitude (approx. 1 hour).
Day 3 - Ascend Mt Kenya via Lake Ellis (3500m) The flora and fauna surrounding the Bandas is prolific, with the possibility of seeing game in the surrounding forest (Elephant, Buffalo, Antelope, Colobus Monkey, Augur Buzzard & Verreaux's Eagle). As we walk, the forest gradually drops away and we enter a high moorland zone. En route we ascend nearby Mugi Hill (3600m) to help with acclimatisation before arriving to camp. Lake Ellis (3500m), where we camp tonight, is a peaceful spot with good views of the main peaks and we arrive in time for lunch. (approx. 6 hrs)
Day 4 - Trek to Lake Michaelson (4000m) The initial trek away from the lake ascends gentle moorland to attain a ridge that eventually joins the main Chogoria route at its best viewpoint. After enjoying views of Vivienne Falls and the Gorges Valley we descend to the little visited Lake Michaelson (3,830m) and possibly the most beautiful campsite on the walk. Overhead tower the cliffs of the Temple while Tacazze Sunbirds flit amongst the giant Groundsel and Lobelia and Hyraxes hop around in the rocks. (approx. 6-8 hours)
Day 5 - Trek to Simba Tarn (4560m) The trek now enters the Alpine Zone - after quite a boggy start to the walk the walking surface soon becomes scree. You will soon reach Simba Tarn at 4560m, in time for a late lunch. An afternoon walk will assist with acclimatisation. (approx. 4-6 hrs)
Day 6 - Ascend Point Lenana (4985m), descend via Mackinders Valley to Old Moses Camp (3400m) After a hot drink you will leave at 3:30 am for the steep ascent (2 - 2.5 hrs) of Point Lenana (4,985m) in time for sunrise. Although the climb is straightforward, the final section is hard work at this altitude. From the summit it is often possible to see Mt Kilimanjaro 320km away as well as the nearby climbing peaks of Mt Kenya; Nelion and Batian which should be bathed in golden sunlight at this time of the morning. We descend back to Simba Tarn for a well-earned cooked breakfast, and continue our descent via the Mackinder Valley to Shipton's Camp before joining the Sirimon Route to Old Moses Camp. The walk today is long and exhausting and will challenge even the fittest of walkers. However the thrill of standing on the roof of Kenya, will be sure to make the effort worthwhile. (approx. 11-12 hours walking)
Day 7 - Descend Sirimon Valley to gate and transfer to Nairobi After breakfast we head through the Sirimon Valley and down through the lush forest belt to the Park Gate where our transport will be waiting to take us back to Nairobi at around 10:00am (approx. 2 hours walking). We drive on to Nairobi where the trip concludes on arrival at the hotel from where we started. We farewell our Kenyan crew here. (Note: arrival at the hotel in Nairobi is around 16:00hrs. We recommend an overnight stay in Nairobi before commencing onward travel. If you need to depart today, please do not book onward flights departing before 20:00hrs)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.