Frenchmans Cap Trek
From 07/11/2021 to 21/04/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Nov Sun 07 2021 to Nov Thu 11 2021AvailableFrom$1,795*
Dec Thu 23 2021 to Dec Mon 27 2021AvailableFrom$1,895*
Jan Sun 09 2022 to Jan Thu 13 2022AvailableFrom$1,895*
Mar Sun 20 2022 to Mar Thu 24 2022AvailableFrom$1,795*
Apr Sun 17 2022 to Apr Thu 21 2022AvailableFrom$1,895*
Spectacular and challenging walking.
Unsurpassed views of the entire World Heritage Wilderness.
Endemic sub-alpine flora.
Extraordinary side trips to high peaks.
Discover the history and hard work behind this epic track.
Summit the iconic quartzite peak of Frenchmans Cap.
2 professional wilderness guides4 nights camping4 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners, snacks and hot drinksTransport by private minibusNational Park feesTent and inflatable sleeping matGroup camping equipment including all cooking and eating equipmentEmergency communications and group first aid kitTasmanian Expeditions provides strong, 2 person bushwalking tents (twin share), which provide each occupant with a personal access door and vestibule for individual use.
Our tents weigh between 2.
0 and 2.
5 kg and this weight is shared equally by each occupant.
We use a range of high quality 3-4 season tents which have been trialled and tested to withstand all weather conditions that may be encountered on our adventures.
Brands that are most commonly used are Wilderness Equipment and Eureka.
Your guides will show you how to pitch the tent, then it will be your job during the trek to put up and pull down your tent each day.
There are modern composting toilets located at Lake Vera and Lake Tahune camp.
When out on the track, there is the need to dispose of waste as per Leave No Trace principles.
Your guides will explain these at your initial trip briefing.
Group Size: 6 - 8.
Trekking with a full pack.
Day 1 - Transfer from Launceston, trek to Lake Vera Our adventure begins early when we pick you up from your Launceston accommodation at approximately 6:30am and travel 3 hours south-west to the start of the Frenchmans Cap Track. This scenic drive is the perfect opportunity for your guides to introduce the region to you as you watch the landscape change from the historic buildings of Launceston to the rugged wilderness of the Tasmanian Highlands. Reaching the trail head, we enjoy our packed lunch before we wave goodbye to the bus and start walking! We cross the Franklin River then climb gently through the tea tree forests of Mt Mullens. If the weather is clear we will be given our first stunning views of Frenchmans and the surrounding peaks. Tonight we camp by the picturesque Lake Vera, where your guides will whip up a hearty evening meal and brief you on the next exciting day. Walking distance: 16 km | Walking time: 6-7 hours
Day 2 - Lake Vera to Lake Tahune From Lake Vera we head toward tonight’s camp at Lake Tahune, nestled below the summit of Frenchmans Cap. The track takes us steeply up through Barron Pass where unsurpassed views of Frenchmans can be enjoyed from a distance. The sight of the epic, quartzite peak rising up and out of the surrounding dense wilderness is breathtaking and gives even the most experienced bushwalker an invigorating jolt of excitement. We sidle Sharlands Peak and pass through the Artichoke Valley before descending into camp. Today is a relatively short day which allows us to rest at our wonderful camp, or have a refreshing swim in Lake Tahune. If the weather is unbeatable we may even attempt to summit Frenchmans Cap in the afternoon. Spare time is also factored into contingency for the previous day's walking. Walking Distance: 6km | Walking Time: 3-5 hours
Day 3 - Summit Frenchmans Cap and explore surrounding area Today we ascend the imposing summit of Frenchmans Cap. The climb is challenging and immensely rewarding; an absolute highlight of Tasmanian bushwalking. The ascent is approximately 1.7 km in distance and takes roughly 1-2 hours. The views from the top are incomparable, taking in a vast expanse of the wild and rugged south-west. After time to completely absorb the scenery, we track through the saddle and North Col and sidle past Lion Head to Lake Nancy. Here we have a well deserved lunch while enjoying the views north-west towards Mt. Mary and the mighty Franklin River. In the afternoon we return to our comfortable camp at Lake Tahune and enjoy another hearty meal high up in the Tasmanian wilderness. Walking Distance: 3 km | Walking Time: 4-7 hours
Day 4 - Lake Tahune to Lake Vera This morning gives us the opportunity to summit Frenchman's Cap once more if inclement weather held us back yesterday. We then return on rough track through diverse forests and mountain passes to the stunning camp at Lake Vera. Our packs are feeling lighter today and we have a spring in our step that only a Tasmanian bushwalker truly understands; There's nothing like five days in the wilderness to clear your head and energise your soul! It is well worth returning to Lake Vera, a magical campsite nestled below the dominating forested heights of the White Needle and Philips Peak. Tonight your guides will prepare our last evening meal in the wilderness, and we enjoy our final night out under the stars. Walking Distance: 6 - 9 km | Walking Time: 3-5 hours
Day 5 - Trek to trail head, transfer to Launceston After breakfast we pack up camp and return across the Loddon Plains to the trail head. This morning's walk enables us to take in the epic mountainous landscape we have explored over the last six days, and reflect upon all we have achieved. We clean our bushwalking gear at the wash down station – to prevent the spread of plant diseases – then board our awaiting bus. We drive back to Launceston via the scenic Central Highlands and Great Lake, and will drop you at your Launceston accommodation by approximately 5pm. After a hot shower and donning fresh clothes, you may like to meet up with your fellow bushwalking companions at one of Launceston's great eateries for a celebratory dinner. Walking distance 16 km | Walking time 6-7 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans