Northern Thailand Hike & Homestays
From 29/12/2019 to 27/12/2020
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Experience the traditional villages and Karen tribes of Northern Thailand.
Explore lush jungles and unspoilt forests.
Trek through some of Thailand's most remote natural areas.
Hike to Doi Pui The highest summit in Mae Hong Son.
6 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 6 dinnersInternal flight from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai valued at approx.
US$90English speaking guide and local community guide during hikes3 nights comfortable hotel on a twin share basis4 nights basic hilltribe homestay on a multishare basis, bedding & mosquito netAirport transfers on first and final dayPrivate vehiclesSightseeing and entry fees as listed in itineraryMedical kitWorld Expeditions does not require single travellers to pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room at no extra charge.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please refer to our website for the additional cost.
Group Size: 4 - 16.
Day 1 - Join Chiang Mai You will be met upon arrival at the Chiang Mai Airport and transferred to your hotel. Overnight: White Boutique Hotel & Spa - Deluxe room or similar
Day 2 - Lod Cave then to Mae Hong Son Your guide will meet you in the morning and you will make the overland trip to Mae Hong, passing through one of the most beautiful mountain highways. After stopping for lunch in Pai district, we continue on to visit one of the largest caves in the Northern Thailand, Lod Cave. Lod Cave contains three main chambers, the first of which is a 21m high “giant pillar cave”. The second is the “doll cave” which as the name suggests, contains many different stone formations which bizarrely resemble dolls. The doll cave also contains an ancient wall painting dating back over 2,000 years. The third is referred to as the “coffin cave”. From within the doll cave, we board a bamboo raft from then climb up to see the remains of a wooden coffin, which is roughly the same age as the ancient cave painting, before we return to the entrance. later in the afternoon, we arrive in Mae Hong Son where we check in to our comfortable accommodation at The Fern Resort. The remainder of the day is free at leisure to relax and enjoy the resort's beautiful, rural setting. this evening, dinner is served at the Fern Restaurant. Overnight: Fern Resort - Deluxe room or similar
Day 3 - Hike to Huay Hee Village This morning we rise early to set off for our next five days of hiking. After breakfast, we transfer to the trail head by 4WD vehicle from where we set off, following the trails which take us down the lush, green Ban Nam Hoo valley. Some parts of the trail can be very steep and narrow so we will take our time. Our route takes us through the different layers of the valley, and we can learn from our local ethnic Karen guide about the different fauna and flora which surrounds you. Later in the day, we will ascend a steep path up to around 1,650m, passing by a variety of different wild orchids for which this area is famous. The wide ranging panoramic views from the top definitely make the ascent worthwhile. We then descend into Huai Hee village which will be our final destination for the day. This village is the first ethnic Karen village to successfully set up a community based tourism (CBT) scheme to provide the community with a supplementary income which is used to finance projects including their wild orchid conservation programme. Their livelihood remains primarily based on rotational farming on the surrounding mountain slopes. Visitors stay in pairs with their home stay family and can learn about their simple, sustainable lifestyles. Overnight: Homestay with Karen family Trek distance: ~10km Duration: 5-6hrs
Day 4 - Hike to the summit of Doi Pui The village stirs early to the sound of its rural setting. After a local style breakfast, we venture out from the village to explore more of the surrounding Doi Pui National Park. During your hike today, you'll have the opportunity to learn more about how the ethnic Karen people live as well as their sustainable use the natural resources of the area. Their sustainable farming and gathering methods are key to why the Thai government have allowed them to remain residing within the boundaries of the national park. Today we will ascend to the very summit of Mae Hong Son “Doi Pui” mountain, at 1,722m where we can enjoy our local lunch prepared by your host family with the stunning mountain views. We hike back down to the village through the wild orchid conservation area, arriving back late afternoon. This evening you can join your host family and learn about Karen cooking, the ingredients they use and the techniques they use to achieve their traditional dishes. Overnight: Homestay with Karen family Trek distance: ~10km Duration: ~5-6hrs
Day 5 - Hike to Ban Huai Tong Kaw Another early morning start today. After breakfast we bid farewell to our host families and start hiking along the gravel road out of the village. After around 1km, we turn off and follow the winding trail for roughly 17km to reach Ban Huai Tong Kaw, nestled in a river valley. Ban Huai Tong Kaw is another great place to explore the traditional Karen culture. The village is accessible by road, yet the community has tried hard to preserve their traditional lifestyles and knowledge. The village is still home to traditional blacksmiths, herbal gurus, spiritual leaders, ritual singers and sword dancers. Additionally, nearby there is an impressive waterfall cascading through a jungle setting. Dinner tonight is at our homestay after which we’ll witness a sword dance at the village centre. Overnight: Homestay with Karen family Trek distance:~18km Duration: 7-8hrs
Day 6 - Hike to Huai Kung Vilage Today we will hike down into the Mae Samad River Valley and visit the largest waterfall in Mae Hong Son. There will be many river crossings and much steep terrain to cover. The water levels, depending on the season, can be as much as 1 meter deep in parts but your guides will assist you. Our final destination today will be the village of Huai Kung which is a small Buddhist village, consisting of approximately ten households with no direct road access. The village is situated nearby the Mae Samad River. They call this village “Baan Lek Nai Pa-Yai”. It means 'small village situated in the ancient forest'. The villagers are dependent on fresh water fishing in addition to hunting game, paddy rice farming and forest gathering. Huai Kung Village is a great spot for swimming where we will enjoy a fish dinner. Overnight: Homestay with Karen family Trek Distance: 15km Duration: 6-7hrs
Day 7 - Hike down to Pa-Bong Village Today, the final day of our hike we can enjoy a more relaxed hike down into the Mae Samad River Valley. The day’s hiking does involve more river crossings and some steep terrain however. We descend down through a deciduous forest which consists of a lot of teak woods, bamboos, and red woods. The hike will take around 4-5 hours to reach Pa-Bong Village where we will meet our drivers to head back to The Fern Resort (30mins drive). Please note: During June-November, the trail from Ban Huai Goong will be changed to the trail that leads to Ban Nam Hoo Hai Jai. This is necessary due to the higher water levels. Overnight: Fern Resort - Deluxe room or similar Trek distance: ~10kms Duration: 4-5hrshrs
Day 8 - Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai, trip concludes Visit a longneck Karen village at Ban Huai Seau Tao. See local lifestyles of the exotic Padong tribe or known as Longneck Karen who originally lived in Myanmar and then moved to Mae Hong Son about 25 years ago. Afterwards, visit beautiful Shan style temples. One of which is located on the hilltop;“Wat Phra That Doi Kong Moo” overlooking the valley village. The next temple is located by the lake. Named; “Wat Jong Kum-Jong Klang”. The roof edge is decorated with the hand crafted zinc sheeting. Also visit a mini-museum which contains old wood carving dolls originally from ancient Myanmar. Lunch will be at a local Thai restaurant. In the afternoon, we transfer to Mae Hong Son airport, and fly back to Chiang Mai where the trip concludes. Note: The flight from Mae Hong Son (HGN) to Chiang Mai (CNX) will be around 17.05-17.45.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 08 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.