Larapinta Challenger Trek
From 02/05/2022 to 09/09/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Challenge yourself to the toughest sections of the Larapinta trail.
Experience wilderness camping under the stars.
View a spectacular sunrise from the top of Mount Sonder.
Enjoy 3 course evening meals after a big day of trekking.
Learn about the trail with your expert guide.
Trek with like minded, adventurous hikers.
4 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 4 dinnersProfessional wilderness guide and support staffSwags for sleeping (but not sleeping bags)Catering & eating utensilsOff-road transport from Alice SpringsVehicle supported camping throughoutAll National Park and camping feesComprehensive group first aid kitEmergency radio/sat phoneDuring the trip we camp with swags and tents; a true Australian Outback experience.
Your guides will prepare all the meals and run the camp, however you will be asked to contribute by putting up your own tent and rolling out your swag.
Participation around the camp will make for a more enjoyable experience for everybody.
-A swag is comprised of a three-inch thick foam mattress with a canvas cover to keep it clean – they are very comfortable! Your swag contains a pillow with pillow cover and one sheet.
-As an option, swags can be rolled out inside Mozzie Dome style tents, these offer sleeping under the stars while protecting from bugs.
They convert to weatherproof tents in case of rain.
-Most groups are made up of a mixture of single participants and couples.
Tents are given out as per person or couple, there is no need to share with people you do not know.
-Sleeping bags are essential for warmth.
You can bring your own or hire from us for $30; please contact our reservations staff if you require a sleeping bag.
A silk sleeping bag liner will be provided if you are hiring a sleeping bag.
-There are bush toilets at each campsite.
There are even a couple of places on the trek where we have the option to have a hot shower! Your guides will let you know at the briefing when this will be.
Group Size: 5 - 8.
Day 1 - Standley Chasm to Birthday Waterhole (19km) We collect you from your Alice Springs accommodation around 7am (your guides will confirm the exact time at your pre-trip briefing) and transfer to Standley Chasm for the start of this magnificent journey. From Standley Chasm we follow the spectacular Bridle Trail, an old trading route used by the early settlers in the region. We head up to follow the ridge line over Reveal Saddle to Brinkley’s Bluff. From this high point, just over 1100m, we are rewarded with superb views of the spine effect created by the West MacDonnell Ranges. After lunch we take on a steep descent and pass Mintbush Spring, named for the native plant that grows here, a beautifully mint-scented bush related to sage and lavender. Our welcoming campsite tonight is at the peaceful Birthday Waterhole.
Day 2 - Birthday Waterhole to Hugh Gorge (16.5km) An early rise today for one of the most challenging and rewarding sections on the trail. We head into Spenser Gorge and Paisley Gorge then up to Windy Saddle and Razorback Ridge for expansive views. The trail continues down to Fringe Lily Creek and follows the Linear Valley. Our trek this afternoon takes us on a rough spinifex journey through this semi-arid region allowing breathtaking views of Hugh Gorge. A transfer will bring us to Hugh River and our camp spot for the night.
Day 3 - Serpentine Gorge to Serpentine Chalet (19km) This section of the trail offers breathtaking views as we walk along the high quartzite ridge lines that typify the West MacDonnell Ranges. We ascend to Counts Point where we are able to take in clear views of Central Australia’s western horizon, to Mt Zeil (1531m) the highest peak in the Northern Territory, and Mt Sonder which marks the end of the Larapinta Trail. We can even see the fascinating, huge comet crater of Gosse Bluff. A descent through mysterious old Mulga stands brings us to our camp at Serpentine Chalet, where we enjoy another great evening meal together.
Day 4 - Serpentine Chalet to Ormiston Gorge (31km) An early start is required to fit in all of the highlights of this section of the trail. Today takes us into the rugged heart of this ancient landscape on a track only opened to the public as recently as 1997. The trail today is again challenging as we ascend to 1088 metres. And again, as always on the Larapinta, our epic climb is rewarded with expansive views. The view opens up across the Alice Valley to the giant, bulky mass of of Mt. Giles, one of the Northern Territory's highest peaks at 1389m.
Day 5 - Mount Sonder (1380m), return to Alice Springs (16km) This morning we are up early for our sunrise hike and ascent of Mount Sonder – known as the pregnant lady by the local Aranda Aboriginal people. An early start allows us to climb in the cool morning air, before the sun heats up the landscape. To view the surrounding country from the top, knowing we have just climbed one of the highest peaks west of the Great Dividing Range, is an unforgettable moment of this trek – what a reward for the challenge we have undertaken over the last week! Having reached the high point – many consider it the highlight – of the Larapinta Trail, we will have brunch on Finke river, then we drive back to Alice Springs, concluding around 3pm.
Day 6 - Mount Sonder (1380m), return to Alice Springs (16km) This morning we are up early for our sunrise hike and ascent of Mount Sonder – known as the pregnant lady by the local Aranda Aboriginal people. An early start allows us to climb in the cool morning air, before the sun heats up the landscape. To view the surrounding country from the top, knowing we have just climbed one of the highest peaks west of the Great Dividing Range, is an unforgettable moment of this trek – what a reward for the challenge we have undertaken over the last week! Having reached the high point – many consider it the highlight – of the Larapinta Trail, we will have brunch on Finke river, then we drive back to Alice Springs, concluding around 3pm.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans