High Atlas Trek
From 16/08/2022 to 21/09/2023
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Sep Tue 13 2022 to Sep Thu 22 2022AvailableFrom$1,890*
Apr Sun 30 2023 to May Tue 09 2023AvailableFrom$1,940*
May Tue 16 2023 to May Thu 25 2023AvailableFrom$1,940*
Jun Tue 13 2023 to Jun Thu 22 2023AvailableFrom$1,940*
Aug Tue 15 2023 to Aug Thu 24 2023AvailableFrom$1,940*
Trek to the summit of Mount Toubkal (4167m).
Walk through traditional Berber villages in the High Atlas Mountains.
Cross the impressive and remote Tizi n'Ougalzim (3700m).
Explore the gardens, mosques, palaces and souqs of Marrakesh.
9 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 7 dinnersairport transfers (day 1 and 10 only)3 nights in traditional riads on a twinshare basis2 nights in local homestay on a twinshare basis4 nights fully supported camping on a twinshare tent basisgroup camping equipment including tent, sleeping bag and matEnglish speaking tour leader, cook and camp crewcity guide in Marrakeshmules and mule handlers to carry personal and group equipment on trekmineral water during trekpark entrance and trek fees as listed in itineraryemergency medical kitprivate transportWorld Expeditions does not require single travellers to pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room at no extra charge.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please refer to our website for the additional cost.
All accommodation is on a twin share basis with ensuite rooms, unless single rooms are requested and paid for in advance.
If you are a single traveller, you will be matched up with someone of the same gender for the duration of the trip.
We use 3 star hotel or riad (traditional Moroccan house) accommodation in the cities (Marrakesh).
These are comfortable, well-run properties which, where possible, emanate some of the local charm.
In the more remote areas we use the best available accommodation which may be more basic.
Please note that accommodation in the village house in the mountains (2 nights) is based on twin share only as there are no single rooms available.
Any hotels specified in the itinerary are subject to change due to availability.
For the trekking portion of your itinerary we will provide kit bags to store your gear (these must remain in Morocco at the end of your trip), sleeping bags, 7cm foam mattresses and two-person tents.
Separate dining, kitchen and toilet tents are also provided along with all general camping equipment.
Group Size: 6 - 16.
Day 1 - Join Marrakesh On arrival in Marrakesh you will be met at the international airport and transferred to the group hotel. Remainder of day at leisure. Private transfers can be arranged if you are arriving before Day 1 (additional cost applies). Overnight Riad Berta (or similar).
Day 2 - Visit medinas, palaces and gardens in Marrakesh Today we are led by our expert guide to discover the soul of Marrakesh. We visit gardens, mosques, palaces, and the souqs of the old Medina before reaching the humming centre of Marrakesh: the Djemaa el-Fna. The atmosphere of this square is overwhelming with its jumble of food stalls, snake charmers, fortune and storytellers and the wide variety of people that flock to its attractions. We return in the evening, when the square really comes alive. It is a must to taste the many wonderful dishes on offer at the stalls. You will be given your kit bag and sleeping bag to pack your gear for the trek. Overnight Riad Berta (or similar).
Day 3 - Drive to Azzadene Valley (approx 3.5 hrs drive) & trek to Tiziane (1600m, 5 hrs) Meeting up with our porters and their mules at Imi Oughlad (1500m), we begin our trek with a gradual ascent on a mule path to the pass of Tizi n Tacht (2000m). As we walk up the Azzadene Valley we pass small villages shaded by walnut and apple trees, plots of maize and stone walls with beautiful yellow pumpkin flowers creeping over, before descending to the village of Tiziane (1600m). Overnight in a Berber house.
Day 4 - Trek to Tizgui (1800m, approx 6 hrs) Leaving Tiziane via Tizi N'Touati (2100m) we ascend for 3 hours to reach the Tassaka Plateau passing holm oaks and junipers. Tonight we camp near Tizgui at Azib Assoul. Overnight: camping
Day 5 - To Tizi Oussem (1850m, approx 5 hrs) We ascend steeply from Tizgui towards the Tizi N'Tagoudalte pass at 2700m where we will be rewarded with fine views. Our gradual descent to Tizi Oussem, passes through alpine areas overgrown with beautiful wildflowers: campanulas, red poppies, iris, walls of violets, various herbs and small succulents. Overnight at the village in a Berber house where you may have the option to enjoy a private hammam, local bath to wash away three days trekking.
Day 6 - Tazagharte refuge (3000m, approx 5 hrs) Leaving Tizi Oussem, the last village in this valley, we continue to climb up the Azzadene Valley catching glimpses of the snow-capped Atlas Mountains. We will enjoy the Cascade d’Irhoulidene and continue to wind our way up the mountain until we reach our accommodation for the night in a mountain refuge. Overnight: camping
Day 7 - Trek to Refuge Nelter (3200m approx 6-7 hrs) Today we cross the impressive and remote Tizi n'Ougalzim (3700m), a steep and rocky pass that zigzags its way steadily up, rewarding us at the top with magnificent views. Upon reaching the top we see the next challenge awaiting us: Mount Toubkal. We descend to our campsite below and enjoy the alpine scenery with the surrounding dramatic peaks that the base camp offers us. Please note this camp is the only place to stay in this area and a National Park rule to stay here; for this reason it is utilised by many groups and unfortunately there might be evidence of rubbish or not as clean as we would like. Overnight: camping
Day 8 - Summit of Mount Toubkal (4167m, approx 7 hrs) We have an early start for our attempt on Toubkal, North Africa’s highest peak. The summit of Toubkal is neither technical nor very demanding, and once at the summit, the views are spectacular. We may start off in the dark to avoid the midday sun. If you prefer, you have the option of a rest day relaxing in camp located at the foot of the peaks, and surrounded by mountains. Overnight: camping
Day 9 - Trek to Imlil (approx 5 hrs); drive to Marrakesh (approx 1.5 hrs drive) Today we walk down the valley passing through the deeply religious village of Sidi Chamarouch. This area is also rich in wildflowers and in spring we’ll find the magnificent Peony Rose. We will also pass herds of goats traversing precarious mountain trails. We take lunch outside the village where we farewell our trekking crew and their mules before driving to Marrakesh. Overnight Riad Berta (or similar).
Day 10 - Trip concludes in Marrakesh Our trip concludes after breakfast. You will be transferred to the airport if you depart Marrakesh today. For departure on any other day, transfers can be arranged at an additional cost.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans