Heysen Trail and the Flinders Ranges
From 09/05/2021 to 02/09/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
May Sun 09 2021 to May Fri 14 2021AvailableFrom$2,595*
Jun Sun 06 2021 to Jun Fri 11 2021Sold OutFrom$2,595*
Jun Sun 13 2021 to Jun Fri 18 2021Sold OutFrom$2,595*
Aug Sun 01 2021 to Aug Fri 06 2021Sold OutFrom$2,795*
Aug Sun 08 2021 to Aug Fri 13 2021AvailableFrom$2,795*
Sep Sun 05 2021 to Sep Fri 10 2021Sold OutFrom$2,595*
Sep Sun 12 2021 to Sep Fri 17 2021Sold OutFrom$2,595*
Sep Sun 19 2021 to Sep Fri 24 2021Sold OutFrom$2,595*
May Sun 01 2022 to May Fri 06 2022AvailableFrom$2,795*
May Sun 08 2022 to May Fri 13 2022AvailableFrom$2,595*
Soak up the beauty and grandeur of the scenic Wilpena Pound.
Visit Alligator Gorge, one of the Flinders Ranges most spectacular natural attractions.
Animal spotting for yellow-footed rock wallaby, euro and emu plus much more local wildlife.
Relax each evening at unique, comfortable outback accommodation with all scrumptious meals provided.
5 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 5 dinnersSnacks and hot drinksProfessional wilderness guide and support staff5 nights accommodation as per itinerary, usually in twin rooms in multi room cabins/cottages with shared bathroom facilitiesAll entrance and national park feesEmergency communications and group first aid kitTransport during the tripDuring the trip we experience a variety of delightful outback properties.
These range from simple outback homesteads and shearers quarters through to twin share hotel style rooms.
All accommodation has been chosen for its location, charm, history and character.
Nights 1-3: Cabins in the caravan park at the Rawnsley Park Station or cottages at Willow Springs Station.
Cabins are a mix of twin share or multi share.
In the cottages there is a variety of rooms, both twin and multi share.
Both options have shared bathroom facilities, fire place and outside seating areas.
Night 4: Parachilna's Prairie Hotel.
Clean, comfortable and simple accommodation with shared bathroom facilities.
Located in a charming historic hotel just off the Heysen Trail.
Night 5: Melrose's Holiday Units.
These are self contained two bedroom units at the foot of Mount Remarkable.
Rooms are twin share with shared bathroom facilities.
Most groups are made up of a mixture of single participants and couples.
If you are travelling alone you will share a room with someone of the same gender, this usually sorts itself out naturally.
The guides will prepare all the meals and run the catering, however you will be asked to contribute by assisting around mealtimes.
Participation will make for a more enjoyable experience for everybody.
Group Size: 7 - 12.
Day 1 - Transfer from Adelaide to Willow Springs/Rawnsley Park via Quorn We pick you up from your accommodation in Adelaide between 7-7:30am and drive north though South Australia’s agricultural districts to the small township of Quorn. We'll have lunch in Qourn and then travel closer to the Flinders Ranges National Park via a short walk to an Aboriginal gallery at Arkaroo Rock. We enjoy a scrumptious dinner prepared by our guides, and hear a briefing about the exciting adventures on the itinerary for tomorrow. Tonight we will stay at either the at the caravan park in Rawnsley Park Station or at the historic Willow Springs Station. Walking Distances: Arkaroo Rock 3km | Driving Time: 4-5.5 hours
Day 2 - Trek Black Gap to Wilpena Pound Today we walk section 57 of the famous, 1200km Heysen Trail. Beginning at scenic Black Gap Lookout, the trail takes us north-east to Bridle Gap. From here we have views across the expansive Wilpena Pound, and back towards the Elder Range. We descend into the Pound itself and follow the trail straight through the middle – an unforgettable walking experience. A variety of mallee, native pine and heath habitats within the Pound provide excellent opportunities to observe interesting local birds including wrens, robins, parrots and raptors. We meet our bus at the Wilpena Visitors Centre and transfer to our accommodation at Rawnsley Park or Willow Springs accommodation. Walking Distance: 14km | Walking Time: 5-6 hours
Day 3 - Tanderra Saddle Walk The Tanderra Saddle Walk begins on the outer edges of Wilpena Pound through Sheoaks and Grass Trees. Starting from Wilpena, we trek along the 'Outside Trail' which skirts around the foothills of Wilpena Pound's northern edge. As we ascend to the top of the saddle, our reward awaits us: utterly unbeatable views in all directions of the Central Flinders Ranges, Aroona Valley, and the salt plains to the west. The Tanderra Saddle Walk is a shorter but equally rewarding section of the St Mary's Peak walk. The Adnyamathanha people of the Flinders Ranges would prefer visitors not to climb to the summi, as it is important to the Adnyamathanha creation story. A picnic lunch on the Saddle gives us time to kick back and take it all in before we begin the descent, retracing our steps to Wilpena. We return to our accommodation at the Rawnsley Park Station or Willow Springs Sheep Station and celebrate our walk with another scrumptious evening meal together. Walking Distance: 12km | Walking Time: 5 hours
Day 4 - Trek Aroona Hut to Parachilna Gorge Today we walk the official final leg of the Heysen Trail – section 61. After breakfast we leave Willow Springs and transfer north through Brachina Gorge to the Aroona Valley. The bus drops us off in the middle of the wilderness at Aroona Hut and we set off for a full day on the trail, walking along the valley between ABC Range and Heysen Range. The day's walk is gently undulating, taking us through bird life filled vegetation and past numerous abandoned mine sites. Reaching the trail head at Parachilna Gorge, we board the bus for a short transfer to our Outback accommodation at the Prairie Hotel. Walking Distance: 17km | Walking Time: 6-7 hours | Driving Time: 2 hours
Day 5 - Alligator Gorge circuit walk, transfer to Melrose We drive south through Hawker and Quorn entering Mount Remarkable National Park from the north. Our walk today is the Alligator Gorge Ring Route, one of the Flinders' regions best kept secrets and part of the Heysen Trail. This walk takes us along the full length of Alligator Gorge and through The Narrows – a peaceful gorge only a few metres wide that stretches for a couple of hundred metres. We can see ancient ripple fossils in the rocks of The Terraces, then have the option for a side trip to The Battery for views over Spenser Gulf. Tonight's accommodation is in the delightful town of Melrose. Walking Distance: 9km | Walking Time: 4 hours | Driving Time: 3 hours
Day 6 - Mount Remarkable summit, transfer to Adelaide This morning we start our walk from the door of our accommodation. An early start allows us to trek the first part of section 43 of The Heysen Trail and summit Mount Remarkable. Heading out of town we quickly reach the National Park and begin a gradual ascent to the 961m peak. This is a wonderful opportunity to see some of the plethora of wildlife that resides in this park: the beautiful yellow-footed rock wallaby, emus, euros and wedge-tailed eagles to name just a few! From the top we gaze across the entire National Park out to Spencer Gulf – a magnificent finale to the last 6 days of Flinders walking. Our journey concludes when we drop you at your Adelaide accommodation between 5-6pm. Walking Distance: 14km | Walking Time: 5 hours | Driving Time: 3 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans