New Zealand West Coast Adventure
From 30/01/2022 to 06/05/2023
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Jan Sun 30 2022 to Feb Sat 05 2022Sold OutFrom$1,999*
Apr Sun 03 2022 to Apr Sat 09 2022AvailableFrom$2,565*
Apr Sun 17 2022 to Apr Sat 23 2022AvailableFrom$2,640*
May Sun 01 2022 to May Sat 07 2022AvailableFrom$2,620*
May Sun 29 2022 to Jun Sat 04 2022AvailableFrom$2,725*
Sep Sun 11 2022 to Sep Sat 17 2022AvailableFrom$2,620*
Oct Sun 09 2022 to Oct Sat 15 2022AvailableFrom$2,620*
Oct Sun 23 2022 to Oct Sat 29 2022AvailableFrom$2,795*
Nov Sun 06 2022 to Nov Sat 12 2022AvailableFrom$2,690*
Nov Sun 20 2022 to Nov Sat 26 2022AvailableFrom$2,690*
Dec Sun 04 2022 to Dec Sat 10 2022AvailableFrom$2,690*
Dec Sun 18 2022 to Dec Sat 24 2022AvailableFrom$2,775*
Jan Sun 01 2023 to Jan Sat 07 2023AvailableFrom$2,860*
Jan Sun 15 2023 to Jan Sat 21 2023AvailableFrom$2,770*
Get out and see a different side to the South Island, making the most of the wide-open spaces of the rugged and largely unexplored West Coast.
Go deeper into the history of the area with stories of the goldrush days during visits to Kumara, Denniston and Arrowtown.
Take in the magic of the spectacular Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier regions during dips in hot pools weaving through rainforests and a walk around the shimmering Lake Matheson.
Witness the stunning, millions of years old scenery at the dramatic Pancake Rocks and the Hokitika Gorge, and spot fur seals at Cape Foulwind.
Breakfasts Included: 6.
Hotel (5 nights),Motel (1 night).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Reefton - Town Tour with Billy Tea, Scones & Honey.
Reefton - Miners Hut visit.
Reefton - Gold Panning Experience.
Tauranga Bay - Fur Seal Colony.
Westport - Cape Foulwind Walkway & Lighthouse.
Westport - Seal Colony at Tauranga Bay.
Denniston - Heritage Village Walk.
Punakaiki - Pancake Rocks & Blowholes Walk.
Kumara - Glow Worm Cave Visit.
Charleston - Nile River Gorge Rainforest Train Ride.
Franz Josef Glacier - Hot Pools.
Hokitika - Gorge Visit.
Okarito - Okarito Lagoon Walk.
Fox Glacier - Lake Matheson Walk.
Day 1 - Christchurch / Reefton / Westport Welcome to your Intrepid exploration of the South Island! Your adventure begins in Christchurch, where a welcome meeting will take place at 8am for you to meet up with your local leader and fellow travellers. After your meeting, it’s time to hit the road, first heading to Maruia Springs in the Lewis Pass national reserve. Check out the natural hot pools surrounded by greenery as the snow dusted peaks of the Southern Alps look on. You can even opt to take a dip. Next up, travel to Reefton, a tiny town that punches above its size. Take a town walking tour with a local story-teller, learning about it's gold mining past. Step back in time as tea is prepared for you on the forge. Manuka leaf is introduced into the billy to produce a rich and sweet black tea which will be served with scones with manuka honey. Finally, drive on to the town of Westport and perhaps round off the day with group dinner.
Day 2 - Denniston / Westport Start your day with a stop at the wild Cape Foulwind and admire incredible views of the mountains and rugged coastline. The headland is home to a fur seal breeding colony so keep your eyes peeled, they can easily blend in with the rocks! Then it’s time to stretch your legs with a walk through the historic mining settlement of Denniston – your leader will be able to give you an idea of what life once looked like for the miners and their families. Return to Westport for an evening at leisure.
Day 3 - Punakaiki / Kumara Travel to Charleston this morning to join a train ride in open carriages through primeval rain forest. ‘The Nile River Rainforest Train’ recreates a bygone era where bush trams once prevailed. Experience the spectacular wilderness of the Nile River Canyon in Paparoa National Park. Next up is Punakaiki, a town with less than 100 residents, but famed for its so-called Pancake Rocks. These layers of fossilised animals and plants, formed over 30 million years ago, were thrust above the surface by the moving earth and sculpted by wind and water. At high tide the sea is forced through blowholes in the limestone to burst metres into the air – it’s an entertaining sight! Continue to Kumara, a former goldrush town with an intriguing history (this little place was the home of New Zealand’s longest serving Prime Minister!). On arrival, settle into your hotel, then head out to meet the town’s brightest residents. Just behind your hotel, you’ll find dazzling glow worms lighting up old mineshafts. Once the sun has gone down, be sure to look up. With very little light pollution, the stargazing in Kumara is absolutely out of this world (literally!).
Day 4 - Hokitika / Fox Glacier Today begins with a visit to the Hokitika Gorge, one of the West Coast’s most stunning spots. Shimmering turquoise waters wreathed with lush native bush make a sight to remember. Then it’s on to the Okarito Lagoon, alive with the calls of over 70 unique species of birds. Head out on a nature walk culminating in a lookout point from which, on a clear day, you can enjoy an unbeatable view over Westland (Tai Poutini) National Park from the snow-capped Southern Alps (Kā Tiritiri o te Moana) across extensive native forest to the lagoons and beaches of the coast. An optional activity here is to take an optional guided kayak trip across its still waters. Continue your journey south towards Franz Josef and pay a visit to the glacier hot pools, where you’ll enjoy some time to relax and unwind while tucked away among gorgeous rainforest. Later in the day, travel to the Fox Glacier township, your gateway to the dramatic and enormous Fox Glacier and your base for the evening.
Day 5 - Fox Glacier Today is yours to make the most of what this amazing slice of the country has to offer. Take a shuttle back to Franz Joseph Glacier or you may want to visit a pounamu (greenstone) workshop and learn how to carve your own original piece. Alternatively you can book a helicopter ride up to the glaciers, with the potential to add on a hike through the spectacular landscape. There’s also no shortage of interesting walks and cosy pubs if you fancy a more low-key afternoon – have a chat to your leader about your options for the day.
Day 6 - Wanaka Kick off the day with a gentle walk around the glittering Lake Matheson, dubbed the ‘mirror lake’ for its dark waters which perfectly reflect the towering Southern Alps – if you take one picture of your West Coast adventure, this should be it! Then make tracks for Wanaka, making plenty of interesting stops along the way. First up is Ship Creek, where you’ll take a walk through quintessentially rugged West Coast scenery. You can either walk through shady swamp forest, or explore windswept sand dunes and coastal forest. Then it’s on to Mt Aspiring National Park. Make the short walk to the incredible Thunder Creek Falls, featuring an impressive 96-metre-tall cascade. Your last stop is for a 1-hour walk along the wonderful Blue Pools Track, passing through forests of beech and podocarp which surround sapphire-blue pools of glacial water. Arrive in Wanaka and enjoy an evening at leisure.
Day 7 - Queenstown Depart Wanaka this morning and drive through the magnificent scenery of the Crown Range. Arrive in Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world, in the late morning (approximately 10am), at which point your West Coast adventure will come to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 January 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans