Walk Hadrian's Wall Highlights
From 21/04/2024 to 19/10/2024
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Apr Sun 21 2024 to Apr Sat 27 2024AvailableFrom$2,465*
Apr Sun 28 2024 to May Sat 04 2024AvailableFrom$2,490*
May Sun 12 2024 to May Sat 18 2024Limited AvailabilityFrom$2,690*
May Sun 26 2024 to Jun Sat 01 2024AvailableFrom$2,465*
Jun Sun 02 2024 to Jun Sat 08 2024AvailableFrom$2,560*
Jun Sun 16 2024 to Jun Sat 22 2024AvailableFrom$2,665*
Jun Sun 30 2024 to Jul Sat 06 2024AvailableFrom$2,715*
Jul Sun 14 2024 to Jul Sat 20 2024AvailableFrom$2,532*
Jul Sun 28 2024 to Aug Sat 03 2024AvailableFrom$2,532*
Aug Sun 11 2024 to Aug Sat 17 2024AvailableFrom$2,665*
Aug Sun 25 2024 to Aug Sat 31 2024AvailableFrom$2,560*
Sep Sun 15 2024 to Sep Sat 21 2024AvailableFrom$2,560*
Sep Sun 29 2024 to Oct Sat 05 2024AvailableFrom$2,465*
Oct Sun 13 2024 to Oct Sat 19 2024AvailableFrom$2,465*
Hadrian’s Wall walking trails are well developed and full of Roman history.
With a local guide leading the way, you’ll gain a true insight into this piece of the past, often overlooked by English travellers.
Take your time to discover important sites like the Vindolanda Roman Fort and the Fort at Housesteads, where you can learn the tales of the Wall.
Discover Birdoswald Roman Fort on an optional visit and learn the history of the longest and best preserved stretch of Hadrian's Wall, while you look out over the River Irthing Gorge.
Walking every day doesn’t mean you’re going to be ruined like the remains! With a well-designed itinerary, the prevailing winds behind you plus some time at leisure in Cholleford, you’ll be walking with ease.
The English countryside has never looked so good.
While the focus is Hadrian’s Wall on this itinerary, your eyes – and camera – will be occupied every step of the way by the lush landscapes of northern England.
Breakfasts Included: 6.
Bed & Breakfast (6 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Carlise to Irthington guided walk.
Lanercost Priory to Gilsland guided walk.
Gilsland to Haltwhistle guided walk.
Vindolanda Roman Fort.
Once Brewed to Brocolitia Fort guided walk.
Chollerford - St.
Oswald’s in Lee Church visit.
Chollerford - Heavenfield Battle Site visit.
Chollerford to East Wallhouses guided walk.
Chollerford - Rudchester Roman Fort visit.
Wylam to East Wallhouses guided walk.
1 - Walk Carlisle to Irthington Welcome to the northwest English countryside! Today, you'll meet your leader and fellow travellers in front of the entrance to Carlisle train station at 10 am - check the 'Joining Point Instructions' of your Essential Trip Information for more details. Carlisle is a wonderful historic city dating back over 2,000 years. With its renowned castle and the Tully Museum to see, you might like to spend a night or two here before your trip to get a real feel for the place. After a quick welcome briefing, begin your walk out of town, following the River Eden on your way to the charming village of Crosby-on-Eden. Passing by Hadrian's Wall through sweeping fields and old bridleways you'll soon arrive in Irthington. From here, take a short transfer to Haltwhistle, your base for the next 3 nights.
2 - Walk Lanercost Priory to Gilsland After a short transfer back to the trail, begin your walk at Lanercost Priory - once England's capital, but only for a matter of months. Continue to Birdoswald Roman Fort where there will be time for an optional visit to this historic structure which was inhabited for over 2,000 years and showcases many of the Wall's defining features. Overlooking the River Irthing Gorge, this section of Hadrian's Wall is the longest spanning stretch and one of the most well preserved. After spending some time here with your group, walk on to Gilsland from where you'll travel back to your overnight accommodation in Haltwhistle.
3 - Walk Walltown Crags to Haltwhistle Start the day with a short ride to the Vindolanda Roman fort. Here you will spend a few hours exploring this wonderfully preserved fort, which is still being excavated. A highlight is the onsite museum that has a treasure trove of well-preserved items such as Roman shoes, boxing gloves and letters. Afterwards hop on the aptly named AD122 bus for the short ride to the Walltown quarry. Walk along one of the most spectacular of the wall as it follows the crags and involves some steep ascents, before descending from the wall and following the lovely Haltwhistle burn back in to town. As tonight is your last night in this pretty town you may like to head out with your fellow walkers and enjoy a well-deserved dinner (at your own expense) before moving on to the second part of your adventure tomorrow.
4 - Walk Once Brewed to Brocolitia fort After a short transfer to Once Brewed - a quaint place with an unusual, and often disputed name - start your hike with a steep climb to the crags (rock faces) of Northumberland. Enjoy a must-do photo stop at the impeccably preserved Housesteads Roman Fort. This afternoon, you will finish your walk at Brocolitia fort. Nothing remains of the fort but there are some interesting remains of the Temple of Mithras. From here, take a quick ride to your overnight accommodation in Hexham.
5 - Walk Chollerford to East Wallhouses After breakfast take a short ride to the outskirts of Chollerford to begin today's walk. Be sure to walk around the nearby Heavenfield Battle Site and St Oswald's in Lee Church, both teeming with reminders of the famous victory of Oswald - the King of Northumbria - in AD734. Your walk today takes you through the countryside to Port Gate where you can take the time for a relaxed lunch before continuing to East Wallhouses and a transfer to nearby Hexham.
6 - Walk East Wallhouses to Wylam Your group will mainly follow the old Military Road and earthen defences set on either side of the wall. Today, you'll pass by the Roman Fort of Rudchester and a short section of remaining wall on your way. After a number of days walking along the trail, perhaps celebrate the last night of the trip with your group during a well-deserved group dinner.
7 - Hexham With no activities or walking included in today's itinerary, you are free to leave at any time. The town of Hexham is only a short distance by rail or bus to the large city of Newcastle upon Tyne where rail and air connections are available to take you throughout the United Kingdom and beyond.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans