Garden Route Adventure
From 17/03/2024 to 09/01/2027
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Mar Sun 17 2024 to Mar Sat 30 2024AvailableFrom$2,346*
Apr Sun 21 2024 to May Sat 04 2024AvailableFrom$2,735*
May Sun 19 2024 to Jun Sat 01 2024AvailableFrom$2,710*
Jun Sun 23 2024 to Jul Sat 06 2024AvailableFrom$2,815*
Jul Sun 28 2024 to Aug Sat 10 2024AvailableFrom$2,925*
Aug Sun 18 2024 to Aug Sat 31 2024AvailableFrom$2,779*
Sep Sun 15 2024 to Sep Sat 28 2024AvailableFrom$2,955*
Sep Sun 29 2024 to Oct Sat 12 2024AvailableFrom$2,925*
Oct Sun 13 2024 to Oct Sat 26 2024AvailableFrom$2,815*
Nov Sun 24 2024 to Dec Sat 07 2024AvailableFrom$2,815*
Dec Sun 15 2024 to Dec Sat 28 2024AvailableFrom$2,925*
Dec Sun 29 2024 to Jan Sat 11 2025AvailableFrom$2,925*
Jan Sun 12 2025 to Jan Sat 25 2025AvailableFrom$2,845*
Jan Sun 26 2025 to Feb Sat 08 2025AvailableFrom$2,845*
Feb Sun 23 2025 to Mar Sat 08 2025AvailableFrom$2,845*
Search for gentle giants on a game drive through Addo Elephant National Park.
Rise early with your small group to watch wild meerkats wake and warm in the morning sun, before continuing to vibrant Cape Town.
Visit Cape Town's Boulder's Beach to watch the resident African Penguins waddle across the sandy shore that's framed by ancient granite boulders.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Helping Rhinos.
Donations support their all-female ranger program in South Africa, which specialises in fighting wildlife crimes and protecting rhinos, and other critically endangered animals, from poachers.
Breakfasts Included: 13.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 12.
Camping (with facilities) (6 nights),Backpackers (4 nights),Basic Huts (shared facilities) (2 nights),Hotel (1 night).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 22.
Howick - Nelson Mandela Capture Site.
Drakensberg - Day Hike.
Addo Elephant National Park - Overland Vehicle Game drive.
Oudtshoorn - Cango Caves Guided Tour.
Oudtshoorn - Meerkat Experience.
Cape Town - Boulder Beach Penguins.
1 - Durban Sawubona! Welcome to South Africa. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm this evening. If you arrive early, why not get out and explore Durban - teeming with golden, sandy beaches. Check out uMhlanga Lighthouse, a beautiful lighthouse on the lovely uMhlanga coastline. For dinner, perhaps grab your group and head to Florida Road for traditional Bunny Chow or some fresh seafood - your group leader will be able to recommend their favourite spots.
2 - Drakensberg Leave Durban and travel inland towards the majestic Drakensberg mountain range this morning. Stop along the way at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site and learn about the history of this great man. Continue the journey to Drakensberg mountain chain. Your accommodation here is in twin rooms with an ensuite at a unique backpacker lodge in Drakensberg. After you've settled in, enjoy a drink with your travel group in the thatched-loft lounge room. You'll also be able to check out the onsite pool, jacuzzi, barbeque and fire pit.
3 - Drakensberg Today you'll enjoy a refreshing hike through an amazing array of flora and fauna. Drakensberg is Southern Africa's highest range - sitting at 3482 metres - and forms part of the border between South Africa and Lesotho. The range is often referred to locally as the Barrier of Spears or the Dragon Mountains. Today there are sure to be some amazing views and excellent photo opportunities.
4 - Lesotho Highlands Leaving Drakensberg behind, head into the mountain kingdom of Lesotho. Nestled like a small island in the middle of South Africa, Lesotho is commonly known as the 'Kingdom in the Sky' and has beautiful mountain ranges and endless hiking trails. Generally, the border crossing into Lesotho is quite smooth, but you may experience some delays, depending on the time of year. Drive past the Golden Gate Highlands National Park which is famous for its extraordinary sandstone rock formations. The park is also home to elands, zebras, mongooses and hundreds of bird species - keep your eyes peeled along the way.
5 - Lesotho Highlands Today you'll have a variety of hikes to choose from. The Lesotho Highlands offer excellent hiking for all levels of fitness and skill, so depending on your experience, you should be able to choose one that allows you to get the most out of these stunning landscapes.
6 - Wild Coast Head to the stunning Wild Coast of South Africa and the charming little coastal town of Cintsa. Cintsa and its surrounding region are home to Xhosa communities, whose lifestyle is deeply rooted in tribal traditions and customs. Arriving in the late afternoon, you'll have time to relax and freshen up before dinner.
7 - Wild Coast Today you can enjoy some free time to explore the town, relax on the stunning beaches or book one of the many optional activities on offer. You might like to go hiking or mountain biking in the hinterland, hire a canoe to explore the Cintsa River or book in for a surfing lesson! Be sure to check in with your group leader to get their recommendations.
8 - Addo Elephant National Park Today you'll travel on to Addo Elephant National Park which was created in 1931 to protect the region's eleven remaining elephants. A true success story in conservation - today there are over 450 elephants in the park, as well as Cape buffalo, black rhinos, all kinds of antelopes and even the unique flightless dung beetle. On arrival, you'll take an afternoon game drive with your group and try to spot some of these resident creatures, among others, from your truck.
9 - Garden Route Wake early and enjoy another game drive in Addo Elephant National Park in an overland vehicle. Afterwards, begin your journey along the Garden Route, the first stop being Tsitsikamma National Park. Steep ancient forests meet the breakers of the Indian Ocean at this park, protecting both land and sea. It's a spectacular place for walking and viewing wildlife. Your group leader will take you to a local activity centre where a range of activities will be on offer, some of which you may like to book for your free day tomorrow.
10 - Tsitsikamma National Park With another day in Tsitsikamma, you'll have more time to explore this magnificent national park. Cape clawless otters, dolphins, tortoises and southern right whales (depending on the season) are all visitors here, along with baboons, monkeys and a heap of birdlife. See how many of them you can spot on a range of hiking trails, including those to the Stormsriver Mouth and waterfalls.
11 - Garden Route Head out across the arid Karoo region bound for Oudtshoorn. You'll stop at Knysna on the way to stretch your legs and explore this hamlet with a gorgeous lagoon. Travel on to the Cango Caves, where you'll have time to explore the weird and wonderful rock formations - one is 'Cleopatra's Needle', standing at 29 feet high and at least 150,000 years old. Your local guide will give you all the ins-and-outs of their formation and history. Continue on to Oudtshoorn, known as the ostrich capital of the world. At the turn of the 20th century, it was full of 'feather barons' that grew rich from the popularity of ostrich feathers.
12 - Cape Town Rise and shine very early this morning to spend some time with wild meerkats, part of the so-called 'Shy 5'. Head to their burrow, pull up a chair and sip coffee while the sun comes up and the meerkats climb out into the sunshine. You'll have time to watch these habituated wild animals, which are never fed or handled by humans, go about their daily routine of foraging and frolicking. Then it's on to Cape Town, the beachside city you'll call home for the next two nights. Your accommodation is in twin rooms with an ensuite, located cool Kloof street, an area famous for beautiful views of Table Mountain, hip restaurants and bars, and historical buildings.
13 - Cape Town Today, you'll visit Boulder's Beach to watch the resident penguins waddle across this beautiful beach framed by ancient granite boulders. The rest of the day is yours to explore Cape Town however you wish. With sweeping views across the city and the ocean below, you might like to make your way to the top of Table Mountain. Whether you choose to chill out and enjoy the city's famous cable car to reach the top or strap on your walking shoes and get hiking - we'll leave it up to you. Otherwise, take your time simply exploring this beachside city, perhaps sipping local wines and dining by the oceanfront.
14 - Cape Town Your South African adventure comes to an end after breakfast today. There's no accommodation provided for tonight, but this can be arranged - please enquire at the time of booking this trip.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans