Sri Lanka Family Holiday
From 08/01/2022 to 11/01/2023
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Jan Sat 08 2022 to Jan Wed 19 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Apr Sat 02 2022 to Apr Wed 13 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Apr Sun 03 2022 to Apr Thu 14 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Apr Sat 09 2022 to Apr Wed 20 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Apr Sun 10 2022 to Apr Thu 21 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Apr Sat 16 2022 to Apr Wed 27 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jun Sat 25 2022 to Jul Wed 06 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jun Sun 26 2022 to Jul Thu 07 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jul Sat 02 2022 to Jul Wed 13 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jul Sat 16 2022 to Jul Wed 27 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jul Sat 23 2022 to Aug Wed 03 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Jul Sat 30 2022 to Aug Wed 10 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Aug Sat 06 2022 to Aug Wed 17 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Aug Sun 07 2022 to Aug Thu 18 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Aug Sat 13 2022 to Aug Wed 24 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Sep Sat 17 2022 to Sep Wed 28 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Sep Sun 18 2022 to Sep Thu 29 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
Sep Sat 24 2022 to Oct Wed 05 2022AvailableFrom$2,255*
The whole family will be impressed by the ancient rock fortress Sigiriya, from the massive stone lion paws at the entrance to the 200-metre climb to the top.
Spotting elephants in their natural habitat during a jeep safari in Udawalawe National Park is something your kids – and you – will never forget.
Share dinner with a Sri Lankan family before sealing the friendship with an informal lesson in a traditional Kandyan dance.
Explore the Dambulla cave temples, where prehistoric Sri Lankans lived thousands of years ago and ancient murals and statues depicting the Buddha are on display.
Soak up some sun during a strategically scheduled beach break along the palm-fringed sands of Mirissa, where the kids can splash, and you can relax.
Breakfasts Included: 11.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (10 nights),Camping (1 night).
Age: min 5.
Group Size: 2 - 16.
Dambulla - Cave Temples.
Sigiriya - Bike ride.
Sigiriya - Lion Rock.
Kandy - Botanical Gardens.
Kandy - Temple of the Tooth with pooja ceremony.
Bandarawela - Country side trek.
Bandarawela - Tea Plucking Experience.
Udewalawe National Park - Wildlife safari.
Mirissa - Kite Flying.
Day 1 - Negombo Welcome to Sri Lanka! Known as the ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’, the island offers travellers palm-studded beaches, rolling plantations, and sacred sights steeped in spirituality. There are no activities planned today until your group welcome meeting at 5 pm. If you arrive with time to spare before the meeting, maybe spend some time relaxing poolside at the hotel or (if the family is keen to start exploring) head out on an Urban Adventure Spirit of Negombo day tour. This optional locally-led tour introduces your family to life in the seaside town.
Day 2 - Dambulla Begin the adventure by heading to Dambulla by private vehicle, located at the end of a moderate 4-hour drive from Negombo. This town plays home to some of the world’s most spectacularly decorated cave temples. Upon arrival, choose whether to join an optional excursion to the vegetable wholesale market, a labyrinth of shops and stalls that offers a fascinating look at the vast range of produce grown in Sri Lanka. Later, explore the Dambulla cave temples, where prehistoric Sri Lankans lived thousands of years ago and thousands of ancient murals and statues depicting the Buddha are on display.
Day 3 - Dambulla Today’s adventure takes you from Dambulla to Sigiriya, a colossal stone monument hosting a ruined fortress. Let the kids burn off some energy with a climb to the top of enormous rock, checking out the murals and caves along the way. If the weather is playing nicely, you should be able to take in sweeping views of the thick forests from the summit before descending. Once you return to Dambulla, take the family for a pleasant bike ride around the countryside. After a day full of activity everyone should be nice and tuckered out by the time night falls.
Day 4 - Kandy Say farewell to Dambulla in the morning and make a 3-hour drive to beautiful Kandy, often called the cultural capital of Sri Lanka. The verdant hills surrounding the city, along with the tranquil lake in the centre, creates the perfect scenery for family photo opportunities, and the old shops and restaurants will keep you busy for hours. Spend the afternoon basking amongst rows of flowers and towering palm trees in the Royal Botanical Gardens, home to more than 4000 species of plants including orchids, spices, medicinal plants and various trees. It’s a leisurely walk full of colour. Continue to the Spice Gardens to learn about Sri Lankan spice plants and herbs.
Day 5 - Kandy This morning, visit Dalada Maligawa (the Temple of the Tooth), which houses the country's most sacred relic: a tooth said to belong to the Gautama Buddha. Pilgrims have been coming to pay homage at this site since the 16th century and they still come in droves today, making it a fascinating place to teach kids about one of the world’s oldest religions still being widely practiced. This evening join a local family for dinner and learn the steps to a traditional Kandayan dance during some lessons from local performers.
Day 6 - Bandarawela After breakfast hit the road by private bus past lush green hills to Nuwara Eliya (3 hours), a former colonial hill station built entirely during the 19th century. The old world architecture reflects what you might expect to find in an English village and the town is a fascinating mix of water buffalo and brick Victorian buildings, golf courses and tea plantations. From here board a train to Bandarawela (2 hours). Enjoy views across the hills and tea plantations from your accommodation this evening.
Day 7 - Bandarawela After a few busy days on the road, today unfolds at a slower pace. Bandarawela is an unhurried, unpretentious hill town that exists to supply the needs of the tea plantation workers and their families. Another distinctive feature of Bandarawela is the colonial flavour still preserved in the many old buildings, including the Bandarawela Hotel and the old supermarket. Enjoy a leisurely morning walk through the countryside, past tea workers plucking the tips of the plants and throwing them into the baskets on their backs. The afternoon is free for your enjoyment – you could always get the family together and challenge some of the locals to a friendly game of cricket.
Day 8 - Udawalawe After a hearty breakfast and 8.30 am checkout, drive to Udawalawe National Park (approximately 3 hours). This park has an amazing array of animal and birdlife, with more herds of wild elephants than anywhere else in Sri Lanka. Following lunch, hop in a jeep for a safari inside the park. Other wildlife regularly spotted here includes macaques and larger monkeys, spotted deer, crocodiles and sometimes even leopards. This is a real safari experience, nothing like a zoo or safari park – truly an adventure for all ages! Check into the campsite at around 6 pm after a full day of adventure.
Day 9 - Mirissa Join your leader for an early morning, four-kilometre walk to a nearby lake which is home to lots of local birds. Head back to camp and fill up on a hearty meal before travelling to the chilled-out beach town of Mirissa. This is one of the best spots in Sri Lanka and you and your family will have some free time to explore it your way. Check out the stunning beach and splash around in the waves or ask your leader for a delicious dinner recommendation.
Day 10 - Mirissa Take free time today to relax around Mirissa’s lovely waterfront or take in some of the local sights. The waters are clear and inviting if you’d like to go for a splash in the Laccadive Sea, or you could grab a bite of fresh fish to share with the family. If you’re interested I the local fishing industry, consider gathering the family heading to nearby Weligama by tuk-tuk or bicycle to see colourful fishing boats bring the day’s catch to sell along the shore. The local cottage industry of lace products is also well worth a look. In the evening, visit the Dutch Fort in Galle for a spot of kite flying. If the colours of the kites don’t get you excited, the kaleidoscopic hues of the sunset surely will.
Day 11 - Colombo Check out of the hotel and head towards Colombo. Once you arrive, take a bit of time to wander through the bazaar and take in the sights, sounds and smells of the bustling market. Afterwards, enjoy a bit of free time. You’re in the commercial capital of Sri Lanka, so there’s more than enough things to occupy the whole family. The waterfront is full of life and makes for an excellent starting point. Regroup in the afternoon and head to Galle Face Green – five hectares of ocean-side park bliss – with your fellow families.
Day 12 - Colombo Your Sri Lankan family holiday concludes this morning after breakfast. There are no activities planned for today and you are able to depart the hotel at any time after check out at 12 pm. If you are departing later in the day, you can arrange luggage storage at the hotel. Additional accommodation is available through your agent at the time of booking, subject to availability.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans