Mexico City: Day of the Dead Original
From 30/10/2024 to 04/11/2025
Fiesta the night away in Mexico City and get into the true spirit of this haunting ceremonial festival.
Get the low-down on all of the traditions and rituals of the Day of the Dead festival, including taking part in making your own traditional altar offering.
See the ruins known as the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon at Teotihuacan and stroll down The Avenue of the Dead to discover : 4.
Hotel (4 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Mexico – Teotihucan ruins guided visit.
Mexico City - Cemetery visit.
Mexico City - Day of the Dead altar creation.
Mexico City - Jamaica Market visit.
Mexico City - City Tour.
1 - Mexico City Bienvenidos a Mexico! Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm tonight. Modern meets ancient in Mexico City - one of the world's largest urban centres. Although crowded and smoggy, Mexico City offers a great variety of impressive museums, galleries and architecture, along with exciting nightlife and delicious street food. If you arrive early, head to the Zocalo - the city's huge central square - to see Aztec ruins and colonial architecture or relax in one of the many parks, plazas and gardens. After your important meeting, why not head out and see this city in full swing - street tacos, anyone? You'll already have noticed a mystical feeling in the air, so keep an eye out for any Day of the Dead decorations you can spot around town.
2 - Mexico City Depart Mexico City and travel to Teotihuacan where you'll discover the extraordinary ruins known as the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon, which dominate the skyline. This was once one of the country's biggest ancient cities and the Aztec capital. Join an expert local guide and stroll down The Avenue of the Dead to see fascinating clues as to what life here was like nearly 2000 years ago. In the afternoon, you'll visit Panteon Tulyehualco cemetery to see the graves that have been decorated with colourful flowers, photos, food and more. As part of the Day of the Dead, people organise ceremonies at the cemetery for those not physically with them any longer and commemorate the lives of people passed over. In the afternoon, get hands-on by creating your own traditional altar for Day of the Dead and then participate in the ceremony that follows.
3 - Mexico City Set out on a walking tour of Mexico City's historic centre, walking past the Zocalo, Metropolitan Cathedral, Templo Mayor and Palacio de Bellas Artes. You'll also swing by the open air Mercado Jamaica where people come to buy everything they need for the Day of the Dead, including the famous pan de muerto sweet rolls. After you've looked around, you might want to buy yourself some lunch or try some of the special festival foods. You'll also have the chance to visit altars in several different locations in Mexico city.
4 - Mexico City Today is free for you to explore your way. Take in the view of the city from the Torre Latino 360? Lookout, head to the Palace of Fine Arts (Palacio de Bellas Artes), or visit the Frida Kahlo Museum in the Coyoacan neighbourhood. If you're in a spooky mood, perhaps book a ride on one of the trajineras (boats) that travel through the Floating Gardens of Xochimilco (approximately 28 km away). Make sure you take a boat that stops at Doll's Island, or Isla de las Munecas, which is dedicated to the lost soul of a poor girl who drowned in mysterious circumstances. This small island is home to hundreds of dolls - many of them with severed limbs, decapitated heads and black eyes - who are said to be possessed by the girl's spirit. Local legends say that the dolls move their heads and arms and have even been known to open their eyes.
5 - Mexico City Your immersion in Mexico's Day of the Dead festival ends after breakfast this morning. That doesn't mean your Mexican adventure has to come to an end! If you would like to spend more time in Mexico City, we'll be happy to book additional accommodation for you (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans