Cruise holidays take in spectacular and fascinating destinations whether you're on a short cruise or an international cruise. Shore excursions are a great way to maximise your time at each destination and see the very best each port of call has to offer.
Why go on a shore excursion?
- Benefit from the experience of local guides who can take you to places you'd never discover on your own. Getting a local's insight on a place will tell you much more than a guidebook ever can.
- Do something you never thought you would, like white water rafting, jungle trekking or a helicopter ride.
- Explore the backstreets of historic cities and immerse yourself in ancient cultures.
- Get up close to amazing wildlife and learn about the flora and fauna of your destination – and impress your friends back home with your newly acquired knowledge
- Cruise liners dock in port for usually one full day; a pre-booked shore excursion makes the most of that time.
When should you book?
Many popular shore excursions fill up fast. Avoid the rush to book shore excursions at the start of your cruise holiday by planning your port days in advance. Your travel consultant can help you plan and book tours and excursions ahead of time. That way you can get into holiday mode as soon as you embark.
Top tip: Participate in on-board enrichment programs to learn about your destination before you arrive at port – you'll get so much more out of the experience if you have some background knowledge.
For more information about your on-board cruise experience view our sample itineraries, children and youth programs, shore excursions, spas and relaxation, on-board entertainment, dining and nightlife pages.